Prologue

"I hope you're miserable until you're dead." Shadow hissed, pushing a dark-skinned woman up against the wall of a dark alley. Her dark hoodie covered her eyes. The thin crescent moon illuminated her face.

She smirked, looking at his arm latched under her neck as he pushed her roughly against the wall. Her head hit a hard wall.

"Bold of you to assume I haven't been."

Shadow's face contorted. "YOU B*TCH!" he whisper-screamed, "I would just kill you here and now, but then I can't make you suffer. Which is exactly what you deserve."

"God," she muttered, rolling her eyes. "That's so cliche. How pathetic."

Shadow inhaled sharply with annoyance. "It's not cliche-"

"Love, it is." she kicked him in the stomach with surprising strength, and he stumbled backward, falling down. She stared for a couple of seconds, then sat next to him in criss-cross.

"What are you going to do?" he said venomously, trying to get up but falling back down. "Are you going to do to me what you did to Whirl? And jeez, that hurt."

She laughed. "I don't know if I want to know what you think I did to Whirl." she surveyed him for a while. "But considering you're the detective and you're trying to kill a healer, who's on your side, maybe I want to know." she added.

Shadow's face contorted, and in the blink of an eye he got up and pushed her to the ground, a gun pointed at her head. He straddled her.

She looked up at him. "That's kinda- nevermind, now might not be the best time for- for jokes." she said breathlessly, her hood pushed back. He had caught her by surprise, which wasn't common. Her head was bleeding slightly from where it hit the wall and then from where it hit the ground. She ignored the stabbing pain; after all, she was used to worse.

"Wow, Vee. You act so innocent." his voice was filled with disgust. "Who would have ever imagined that you would r@pe Whirl?"

Vee blinked.

And blinked again.

And blinked again.

"What?"

Shadow pushed the gun harder to her head. "Even now, you're denying. That's disgusting. How could you do that to a friend? Or anyone, for that matter?"

"I didn't r@pe Whirl-" he pulled the trigger. The gunshot echoed throughout the alley. Nearly all the innocents would be asleep right now, thankfully.

Shadow stared at Vee's lifeless body for a few minutes. Her dark braid, which was slightly disheveled, lay lying on the pavement. Her slightly long dark magenta hoodie was stained with faint spots of blood that looked like someone had unsuccessfully attempted to remove it.

He heard footsteps from behind him. Without looking, he knew who it was.

"You're crazy." she said, her voice low and quiet.

Shadow remained expressionless, not looking behind him

"What? No thank you kiss for telling you?" her voice shifted to a higher pitch. "I'm hurt." there was a trace of mockery in her voice.

"Did I ask?" He stuck his gun back in his holster. "By the way, we're done."

She didn't say anything, but he heard her footsteps receding.

The sun shone on the town that was bordering on ghost town status. All of the cottages looked uninhabited, despite the fact that there were twenty residents living there in total. The gangs just roughed the town up quite a lot.