Part 4 (Finale)

"Wait-" Serrie said loudly, "You know this woman?"

Shadow laughed loudly and bitterly. "Know? Do I know her?"

Ebony stared at Serrie for a few seconds, twirling her silky hair around her fingers. "We dated for a while."

"I-" Serrie blinked, "Well, that's unexpected." she paused for a second. "Wait, why are you capturing him then?"

Ebony examined her dark red nails, as if she didn't care. "Why don't I start from the beginning?"

"That would be much appreciated, thanks." Shadow scoffed.

"When I'm done, y'all can ask questions."

Serrie nodded. "That... sounds strangely reasonable, coming from someone who looks like a creepy mafia boss." Ebony nodded

"Computer," Ebony started, "Open up the Murder Mystery Game Controls."

A feminine voice came out, the same robotic, feminine voice that came out of the fountain everyday, delivering the fateful news.

"Welcome back, Game Master. How may I assist you?"

Shadow drew in a breath.

"I'm the Game Master," Ebony started, "But when I was first assigned the role, a couple of years ago, I realized something. I couldn't see people's roles. I only knew the different roles."

"Why can't I know their roles?" she asked aloud, a raw trace of bitterness seeping into her voice. She despised not being in control. "So I set out to figure out all of your roles."

"There were 7 players. I chose all of you. No matter what you think; that you were blackmailed into here by someone completely random, or you joined of your own volition, I chose all of you."

"I doubt it." Shadow called out loudly, "I chose to come because I needed the money."

"Hm," Ebony mused, a smirk on her face, "I guess we can start with you, then. And everything I did."

Shadow clenched his fists; he never should have told Ebony everything about his life.

"You have on and off depression, don't you? But when you tried getting help, they told you to just man up. People like you will never play a game like this by the rules."

"But that's not related-- anyways, we met one day. And we started dating. I never really pegged you as the f*ck-and-go kind of guy, but that's okay. I saw your messages with your sister- I knew you planned to break up with me months before you did during the first night!"

Shadow felt his eyes widen, and he felt himself protesting, not knowing what he was saying. "I had a valid reason to break up with you! And why did you go through my phone?!"

"Because you were bored. You didn't love me that way anymore. That's messed up."

"No, it's NOT! It's human." Shadow spat, "But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. You're not even human."

Ebony retained her calm composure. "Whatever. Anyways, I asked myself, 'How can I ruin his life like he was going to ruin my life? How can I make sure karma hits him like the b*tch he is?' and I had an idea."

"You need that money to help your mother, who has a long-term poison coursing through her blood. No one knows how the poison got into her blood." The corner of Ebony's mouth tipped up. "I do, though. I put it there."

"What?!" Shadow asked breathlessly, pure disbelief coursing through him.

"You always loved her more than me," Ebony said spitefully, "So one day, in bed, I brought up the idea of participating in the game to get more money."