The Boy With CP

A long time ago, there was a little boy born with CP. He was an adorable little boy. And his mother, Pauline, was so happy to have him.

Most kids born with CP didn't survive past the age of five years old back then.

The doctor was surprised the boy survived the delivery.

His mother was surprised she had survived from doing delivery because the doctor had assured her that it would be very unlikely for her to survive it. Let alone the boy.

The boy was named Christopher Lee Coyle. This is a true story I know this because he is my older brother. And he did everything in real life that he did in this story. Because this is his story.

Chris was walking at an early age even though not many kids with CP could walk like they should he was walking without much difficulty. Pauline was mesmerized at how well he developed despite what the doctor had said. Chris was just as normal as his siblings, Cheri, Bill, and Donnie, and nobody could tell him any different.

He was just as stubborn and determined as his mother. Which made everyone note that no matter how different he looked he was still his mother's son. His attitude towards everyone was kind and nonchalant, it was the kind that you rarely see in our generation. But you saw it him and that made it enough to make you love him.

He was lovable, caring, giving, and he never really expected much in return. Not because he couldn't think of anything he wanted. It was because he didn't want anything more than people to love and care for. He didn't need you to love him back, it was nice if you did, but you didn't have to he was nice and lovable no matter what anybody else said.

When the doctor said, "I don't think Chris will ever be able to drive, write, or talk normal," that was Chris's cue to do exactly that.

He learned how to drive. How to write. And how to talk as normally as possible. It was a miracle, he beat the odds of not being able to do anything that Cheri, Bill, and Donnie could do. And he lived past the normal age of a normal CP kid.

A normal CP kid couldn't hold much of anything without their hands shaking to the point that they dropped whatever was in their hands. They couldn't drive. Couldn't write legibly. Or talk where you could understand them. He was special and everyone knew that.

In the year of 2009, I was introduced to Chris. I knew he was different because he had an accent of a person with a mental illness. And he had sort of a limp to his walking when he walked. And it took a lot for him to make sure you could understand what he was saying. Chris was way over the average survival age for someone with CP. I was amazed at how old he was when I met him. My dad and his mom got married on January 17, 2009. And I loved Chris. I loved talking to him.

With his CP, he shouldn't have been able to drive a stick-shift. But he was driving a little tan Ford stick-shift pickup truck. Without the help of anybody. He smoked and his hand didn't shake. His hands were as steady as mine and yours. There was no shake or anything. Just a normal hand.

When he drank something, he held the cup or can or bottle without it shaking and spilling everywhere. It was absolutely magnificent to see this. I had never seen someone with CP doing any of this.

He could sign his name, write legibly, and you could tell what it said. You didn't have to take forever to read because it was clear what he was saying. I loved my brother, even though he was my step brother. In my eyes, the word 'step' didn't matter he was my brother and I didn't care what anybody else said. He even acted like a brother to me.

Chris was unique. He was everything any other CP kid would wish they could be. Chris could drive ATVs and four wheelers and he was good at it.

Chris even got married to Ada Lynn Rose.

The day that changed Chris's life forever.

On June 28, 2011, Chris went out with a couple buddies and they were driving ATVs. He was driving his ATV just like he normally would. Everything was okay. Until he crashed. He was life lined to Wichita. And he had slipped into unconsciousness. Chris had a trache in his throat. And could not wake up. I can't remember if he was in a coma or not, I think he was. In the middle of July, he had awoken. They sent him to a rehab center in Gardner, Kansas. He did physical therapy and other types of therapy.

Chris couldn't remember who much of anybody was. We put pictures in his room at the rehab so he could remember at least our faces. With that, we put our names on each picture so he could remember. He soon remembered more than we thought was possible. It felt like ages before he was finally released. But he wasn't the same as he was before the wreck. He was more quick tempered and less likely to be nice to every single person. Lots of his accomplishments that he made before the wreck had gone down the toilet. He couldn't do quite as much as he once could. Chris tried everyday to be as kind and nonchalant as he could be but it was becoming too much.

In the year of 2012-2013, Chris was getting worse. He needed help.

The doctor ended up saying that we needed to get ready to deal with his death because he didn't have much longer. He was sent home to finish Hospice Care at home with his family. My older sister, Beverly, made a memorial video dedicated to Chris, and posted it on Facebook. It was hard to believe he was almost gone. Not too long after the memorial video, came a poem called Going Home To The Lord. Also dedicated to Chris. This poem is the last thing in this book.

Chris was a good man, great brother, awesome son, and a strong willed husband. He proved that it doesn't matter who you are or what kinds if diseases try to hold you back, if you put your mind to it you can do anything. Not only in the end did he have the brain injury from his wreck and his CP, but he had also been diagnosed by the doctor that he was HIV positive.

Going Home To The Lord

By Beverly Ann Wire New

He is ready to let go,

Because he is tired of suffering.

Even though some of us may not want him to go,

But The Lord says its time.

Tonight hearts are crying, and he is not even gone yet.

Just talking about losing my brother hurts,

But I don't think I can let him go.

When I first met Chris Coyle,

He became an instant brother and friend.

We talked to each other all the time,

And we had a bunch of fun together.

He became someone that I knew I could talk to him about anything.

I know it's wrong to want him here,

When it's time for him to go home to The Lord.