1. It's A Pleasure

Buzzing filled my ears as I slowly opened my eyes, waking up to my alarm. The sound of my persistent alarm was something I was so used to and yet it aggravated me every morning. I rested in my current position, snuggled with my comforter and three blankets. My room was the furthest from my apartments's main heater so it absolutely freezing. I needed to invest in a space heater. I finally rose from my laying on my stomach and sat up, turning my alarm off in the process. The sun was shining through the drapes of my bedroom window and I could already hear the street outside buzzing with people. Waking up this early on a Saturday morning was not usually my forte but I forgot to reset my alarm.

I ran my fingers through my hair, silently thanking myself for cutting and dyeing it after I left Wisconsin. I looked completely different with my short, dark hair, barely recognizable. My appearance no longer reflected the girl I once was. My head did not consist of all my original life plans and ideas. Everything changed and I had to change along with it. Now I resembled the new me: someone who knew the consequences of trust, someone who would not put all their faith into people, someone who was not going to plan every aspect of their life because all those old ideals I had amounted to the hurt and ache I had to deal with for much too long. There's a new person bubbling inside me and she is ready for today.

Snapping me from my thoughts was the generic ringtone of my iPhone. "Beatrice" flashed across my screen. Tears stung the corners of my eyes, threatening to spill. I squeezed my eyes shut and inhaled deeply. Today my mission was getting a new phone, I did not need all the old numbers of people I could no longer wanted to have contact with. I did not need any connections with them whatsoever. My shoulders relaxed as soon as the jingle had stopped. I quickly decided it was the best to just leave my phone off for the day, I wouldn't be needing it anyways.

Sliding off the edge of my bed I slowly walked from my bedroom in my apartment to my kitchen. I grabbed a mug out of a cabinet and started heating up some water on the stove, thinking I was going to have tea. After almost falling asleep twice in the span of five minutes I came to the conclusion coffee would be more beneficial.

After mixing milk into my coffee I quickly made myself peanut butter toast with jam. I ate silently at the counter, taking sips of coffee every now and then. There was a lot I had to figure out. I had just picked up and left without a word to anyone. I had just moved across an ocean to get away from everything, to start fresh. I had transferred schools, and to avoid my family discovering this I must pay for all my tuition on my own, along with the rent for an apartment I had moved into yesterday. I needed a job and I needed to register for my classes today.

I glanced at the clock above the stove. It read 7:43 a.m. I finished my breakfast quickly and then went to the bedroom to get dressed, followed by brushing me teeth in the bathroom. By the time I was out the door it was barely past eight o'clock. Walking to the subway I pull out my phone to check which station I needed to get off at. I was on my way to University of London to register for my new classes, and later on to find a decent paying job to afford my schooling and my apartment.

Once on the train I was lucky enough to find an open seat between a woman of about forty and an older man who looked to be in his seventies. The ride was longer as I lived on the outer edge of the city, but it was a good amount of time for me to get my head somewhat in order. I figured I would try to find a job at a restaurant so I could get tips on top of my wage. Hopefully there were ones hiring around my apartment, I didn't want to travel far for work especially since I would have to be taking the tube every day for school.

Once the train arrived at my metro stop I made my way to the admissions office down the street from the metro entrance. I slowly opened the door and walked over to the front desk.

"Hello, what is your name, dear?" The woman behind the desk asked. Her accent caught me off guard for a second but then I remembered I was no longer in Wisconsin.