Prologue

The assassin surveyed the agent. He was in a deep but small pool of water, quickly freezing over. Blood from the bullet wound leaked out slightly into the water. Tendrils of very faint red reaching towards the surface. The agent's lips were already tinted blue and his eyes were shut. He might as well already be dead.  The assassin smirked and turned off his torch. He walked away, confident that the falling snow would cover his tracks.

_________________________________________

Alan Blunt did not look particularly remorseful at Alex Rider's funeral. He and Miss Jones were there only out of courtesy for the boy. They didn't really care either way. Another agent dead. Just another ordinary day. There were no other people with connections to the government. A 15 year old agent for MI6 dying would be a pretty damning story. It wasn't as if they even had the body. Blunt had entertained the thought that Alex may simply be biding his time, waiting to reveal it had all been a trick. But he dismissed the thought. If Alex was alive, the last thing he'd do would be to let MI6 know. They'd ran a tight ship as Alex's guardian and Alex hadn't liked that. If Alex had seen a way out then he would have surely grabbed it with both hands.
Blunt and Jones left the graveyard. They had been the only people to attend. The only people to know the atrocities that Alex Rider had suffered. They had caused his suffering and they didn't care.