Chapter 1

you all have probably heard the story a thousand times. mermaid. wants to be human. makes a deal with a sea witch. loses her voice. falls in love with a prince. big happy ending. ya da ya da ya da. that's not what really happened at all. like at all. the only accurate part was the that she was a mermaid. that she, is me. my name is ariel. well ariella, but ariel for short. my mom died when I was very small. my dad (unlike the story you know) passed away a year after my mother. I didn't even have any sisters. all I had was my friend, jade. she lived in the rival kingdom. but that didn't stop us from seeing eachother. we met every thursday night in the moonbeam pond. crazy huh? that my best friend and I were forbidden to see eachother. if anyone found out, oh boy. now that would be a mess. in the story you know, there's a big, evil sea witch, Ursula. she doesn't exist. well, not yet. anyway, our story starts on a regular thursday night. I called jade to see if she was going to the pond. but it was not jade who picked up. it was some weird deep voice. hey, maybe she had a cold. I swam and swam until I finally reached moonbeam pond. But it was not Jade in the pond. It was a man. not even a merman. a man.