Chapter 5

Prying and snooping like a spy, We came to the house. My heart lurched as sweat trickled down my cheeks. Rising on the balls of our feet to gain height and get a better look, I gasped in horror of what I had just seen. Empty cans of beer were strewn all over the house. The glass window were clouded with overlapped prints made by raindrops that had dried. There was no electrical supply and the air was stale and musty. Remnants of cobwebs dangled precariously from the corners. I retched convulsively at the sight. 

" Eww!" I said, sourly. 

 " Let's go!" My brother said, ignoring me.

The door creaked open as my brother and I stepped in. As soon as we stepped in, we saw a large portrait of a man with a beard wearing a military uniform. 

" Hmm... This is getting interesting!" My brother remarked

I was about to reply when a sudden voice interrupted us. 

" How dare you trespass my property!  Leave at once!" A mysterious voice shouted.

 We turned around and was shocked to see an old man in a wheelchair. We stood rooted to the ground. We were so scared that we could not command our legs to run. 

. " We.... are... so sorry." My brother stuttered in reply.

After explaining everything from the start till the end, The room was so silent until you could ear a pin drop. A few minutes later, the old man cleared his throat and said calmly.

" Follow me." 

He wheeled himself to what look like a living room and told us to sit on the couch. Our lips quivered and our eyes were wild with fear as we sat down

" Wait here." He muttered.

As soon as he was out of sight, I whispered weakly.

" I thought you said it was vacant for years? Look at what trouble you have gotten us into!"

" Sorry!" My brother whispered, hoarsely.

Just then, the old man came out of a room and was holding a rolled up piece of paper. He handed it to us and told us to open it up. To our surprise it was a map.

" This is not just a normal map like the one your cousin gave you kids." He stated.

" Listen kids, the picture you saw there was my father. My father was a paramedic in the army. He was there in World War ||. During that time, everything was a mess. My father then saw his enemy, a japanese soldier seriously injured at a corner. Without hesitation, he ran towards him and helped him. As the japanese soldier knew that he was seriously injured and has a slim chance of surviving, he gave a map to my father and said follow this map and find the Yamashita gold. Till this day, my father has not found the gold. I, on the other hand has no time to find the treasure so I left it in my cupboard for years. Find it for behalf for my father and I! "

Upon hearing that we were shocked for words. We turned back and discussed within ourselves.

" Should we?" My brother asked.

" What if it is a trick again?" I  replied.

" Maybe not" 

" Okay then." I said.

We turned back , facing the old man and said

" Okay!"

" But your journey will be dangerous, you may not even find the treasure!" The old man commented.

We nodded our heads in reply, and head for the door to start a real, new adventure!