Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Where you come from. What you are. How you were born. Where you are born. That doesn’t matter.

What you do. How you spend life. The choices you make. That’s what matters. You are remembered by them. They define you. Whether as rich or poor; beloved or hated; cruel or kind; friend or foe; hero or villain; protagonist or antagonist; free or slave. 

This is one of the most important lessons anyone can learn from life... and it is a lesson I learned the hard way.

It was taught by someone I am proud to call friend. A hero. A slave. Someone given a history but not allowed a future. A human zombie with a name I will never forget: Tom Lakeman.

My own name is Fred Smith and for formalities sake, let me share with you a bit about my past. Although, as I’ve said before, it doesn’t matter.

For starters, I am a pixie. 

No. I am not a tiny glowing creature that flies around while spreading magic gold-dusts. None of my kind is anything like that. Contrary to popular belief, we pixies are much similar to humans in terms of looks. We just happen to have wings and antennae which provide the necessary senses that aid us during flight. 

I am a citizen of the galaxy named Luthien and we pixies call Planet Tatooine our home. It is one of the seven planets revolving around Luthien’s red sun. 

I was bred and raised to become a soldier ever since the day of my conception. My father was likewise a soldier so naturally, I am expected to be one. When I reached the right age, I was officially sworn to serve my Republic. Sworn to do anything and everything I can to help my people attain freedom from the tyrant wizard ruling our galaxy. His name is David Johnson: The Vandalizer. He loves to mutilate -  vandalize - his enemies; hence, his title. I dare say that he rather enjoys the description given to him by his enemies. 

Of all the races and civilizations this tyrant stepped on, the pixies and the elves suffered the most. Our races no longer have magic because of David Johnson. The tyrant drained it from us long ago and permanently added it to his own making him the most powerful magical being in the galaxy. That explains why he gets to rule Luthien. 

I grew up hating this tyrant. This hate caused me to embrace my predestined role as a soldier of the Republic of Rebels. It is a society composed of many different races (trolls, humans, pixies, dwarves, elves, werewolves and orcs) from the seven planets who swore to topple down the empire ruling us all. We operate in secret to avoid David Johnson’s grasp. 

I became a loyal follower and doer of orders as a soldier. An ally of anyone who hates the empire as much as I do. My passion, loyalty and zeal for our Republic’s cause earned me the respect and favor of my allies including other enemies of the empire from different races and planets. My reputation also became the reason why I was chosen for a very important role when my beloved Republic came up with a plan. A plan that could possibly and permanently remove the tyrant from his throne. I admit that it was a good plan. Harsh for my tastes but clever nonetheless. It aims to unite all the races against the empire leaving the tyrant with no allies in the process, if done correctly. 

My role in this plan begins my story. It all started when I officially met the center force of the plan. The king on the chessboard. The zombie named Tom Lakeman. 

It starts with a space ship that came from planet Tatooine. I was inside the ship. Along with me were the ship’s pilot, pixie escorts and our Commander named Brent. 

“This is not safe,” someone among the escorts muttered. “A space ship flying towards uncharted space territory is the most suspicious sight.”