4. Consider It

Error spent his days in recuperation, sometimes travelling down the worn garden paths and looking over the well-kept gardens (Horror and Dust's doing), though he mostly stuck to 'his' bed. Nightmare would visit and interrogate the god, questions could be personal, simple, or demanding and with each answer Nightmare's bitter outlook of Ink would curdle and sour. For the Protector and Creator of the Multiverse, Ink sure knew how to torture someone.

The King and the god grew closer. Nightmare's questions opened Error up enough to chat idly. They would share tea in the gardens whenever Nightmare had time. It didn't click before, but Nightmare was actually a King, he had maids, butlers and an entire Kingdom to take care of. This impressed the god. Error's off-handed praise made Nightmare's tendrils swirl and dance with pride. They had become friends, though neither would admit it.

Killer often came by with sweets and a large cat that would always purr. According to the monster, he had an entire barn filled with cats that needed better lives, saying that oftentimes they'd be in alleyways, starving. Error found that oddly parallel with his situation but didn't comment on the coincidence. Killer has been trying to get closer and closer to Error. They were forceful at first, trying to hold Error's hand and 'get him out of his comfort zone,' but after a nasty punch to the SOUL and an uncharacteristically harsh scolding from Nightmare, Killer pulled away.

That didn't stop Killer from trying, Error was almost grateful. The god would be lying to himself if he said he didn't enjoy the company. Though Killer could be loud and unruly, they listened to his stories and absorbed his experiences, they even shared their own. Something akin to friendship grew, it was different from when Error talked to Nightmare. Unlike the urge to stay next to Nightmare, with Killer, Error only wished to protect and guide the smaller. Maybe he was still sick from his... scuffle.

Now, Dust and Horror had avoided Error like the plague. They only showed up for their respective duties - Dust healed Error's never ending wounds and Horror gave the god a variety of soups (they had unceremoniously found out that was the only thing Error could stomach).

However, Horror had taken a small liking to the god after finding out he could sign in the common language. Horror preferred communicating in sign language, Error enjoyed the quiet talking as well, even if they only shared small greetings and goodbyes. When the red eyed monster told Dust the 'thrilling' news he was beaming and happily signed away to his closest companion.

Cross, despite their first interactions, had decided to be Error's mentee. He never fully informed the god, but when Error noticed Cross' pressing questions and note taking, he tried to stop the determined monster, saying that he had 'nothing valuable to teach.' To which Cross scoffed and pestered the god more. Unlike Killer, Error eventually bent to Cross' demands and taught him simple detection and aversion magic. To Error's surprise, Cross excelled and he felt inclined to teach him more.

Cross would only come to Error three days of the week, but he would always be keen to learn. He wasn't a magical powerhouse like Dust so his magic would take some time to replenish after each session. Error admired the assassin's tenacity, but after Cross cried when he praised him, he never mentioned how astonished and almost proud he was of the growth ever again. Error has never seen someone cry so... theatrically.

Altogether, it was an odd situation. Error felt like neither a guest nor a prisoner. It was obvious that they were all watching his every move, but he was able to wander about and speak freely.

Error's magic had come back to him quicker than ever before - Nightmare said it was the food's doing - and he was able to make a large impromptu 'panic cocoon' in his walk-in wardrobe. He was looking around it, wondering why there was small purple clothing tucked into the shelving when Dust appeared suddenly behind him. Dust's silent entry had frightened Error so badly he hurled himself into the open space and tightly spun a protective ball of blue. When asked about this reaction Error could only shrug and say 'it feels natural.' Maids assigned to clean Error's room would furnish the nest with pillows and blankets every week – they were just as confused by their new assignment, as far as they were concerned, Error was a captive but there they were.