Chapter Ten The Dam

The dam

We drove a short distance.

“Look, we are close to the lower part of the crack,” said Ziad.

“Look at the damage in the Road,” said Raed. “I can’t drive any more. We have to stop here. There are also some security officers ahead of us. I don’t think they will let us pass by.”

“I have a permit. Let me talk with them,” said Ziad.

The security officers approached us and asked us what we where doing. Ziad answered back and showed them his ID. They let us pass through.

“We have to leave the main road and walk down to the Dead Sea from here. Be careful. It’s a rough path, “said Ziad.

We left the main road and walked between large stones on pebbles mixed with sand for a short distance until we reached a split in the earth. The split became even wider and deeper ahead. It was filled with water from river Jordan and the Dead Sea.

“See there,” said Ziad.

I looked along the earth split to the area that Ziad pointed to.

“There seems to be something shining below the water. It is as if there are metal sheets where the river Jordan pours into the Dead Sea,” said Ziad.

“What are these?” I asked.

“I wish I knew. It looks like a wall built with iron bricks. On the other side in Israel they noticed that thing also. It is the border between Jordan and Israel where we are not allowed to go. This is a dangerous area that had landmines implanted in the past.”

I did not dare to advance as I noticed a sign warning, as Ziad said, of landmines. I tried to focus my vision. Under the water there were iron sheaths arranged in an organized way. I checked the radiation reading.

“The radiation is very intense in the Dead Sea. These metal sheets seem to hold the radiation, like a dam, “I said. “Do you have a compass?”

“I will check my equipments. There, I have one. Why?” said Ziad.

“What does it show?”

I checked the compass. It pointed towards the metal wall.

“It must be made of iron or a similar magnetic material,” I said.

“Let’s think of what we have. We have the lowest point on earth. And we have radiation that is bound by the magnetic field of the earth and the iron dam. The combination of these things and perhaps the very salty properties of the Dead Sea may be trapping the radiation.” I said.

“Look!” said Raed. A fire burst appeared on the mountain on the other side. Again we could see the same thing in the distance: a big fire ball appeared for a few seconds then extinguished.

“And we have those fire balls,” said Ziad.

“Now let me analyze the radiation,” I continued while adjusting my computer. “I will set different filters to see its spectrum.”

We kept looking at the computer and the signals that it showed.

“There is no pattern here. It’s total chaotic activity,” said Ziad.

“If we try different filters something may appear. It looks like the radiation travel together in bundles. Every bundle has different frequencies locked together in one piece,” I said

“Try to focus on just few bundles,” said Ziad

“Look! As I make the filter tighter the bundles look more organized. They seem to be moving in the Dead Sea. Their movement does not appear to be random.”

 “The bundles move together like a fish in a sea, if any fish could survive the Dead Sea,” said Raed

“Like a fish. Hmm. They do move in such an organized way as if they are alive,” I said.

 “If we make an analogy to our selves. We are made of earth. Every one has a distinct DNA pattern. Perhaps these radiation combination pattern is like a DNA,” said Ziad.

“I wonder if they have a soul also,” I said.

“A soul! Is there a way to communicate with them?”

“I don’t know. My computer can only record the radiation. But we are making too many assumptions. This could be all just a coincidence and the radiation is moving in a bundle for some logical and physiological reason.”

“What about this iron dam? Is it a coincidence, or did someone build it?” said Raed

“Which civilization would be smart enough to build a radiation shield?” I said with doubt in my voice.

“There were many civilizations here. Even before the recorded history, there might have been civilizations that have a degree of knowledge to be able to build such a thing,” said Ziad.

The three of us then remained silent and kept looking at the screen. The more I adjusted the filter the better I could zoom in on the radiation. There might be millions, if not billions of the bundles, each moving by itself in the calmness of the salty Dead Sea. It was amazing to see the clusters of signals moving all around. As I zoomed in I could focus on fewer and fewer of the bundles.

“Concentrate on the iron dam,” said Ziad.

I pointed my sensor there.

“Look, although it is holding the radiation, some appear to escape,” said Ziad.

 “But then they come back from the south. They must orbit the whole earth. If they run at the speed of light they can do that in a split of a second.”

“Then they become trapped again,” said Ziad.

“Did you notice that although there is more radiation here and to the north, there aren’t any flames in that area? The flames only appear in the east or the west mountains. It seems that when the radiation leaves this environment they becomes unstable and burn.”

“The tilt of the dam directs more of the radiation to the west direction towards Jerusalem. I wonder how the situation there is. What do you think will happen if they escape all at once?”

“No one knows. Nothing could happen. But if one wave can make such a fire, then sudden release of billions of waves may burn the area,” I said.

“Or if they have a replicating code then there could be something like a virus pandemic,” said Raed.

“The metal wall is exposed to the salty water and soon it will start to erode,” I said.

“Even before it erodes, a research team is bound to come and dig in that area  We are lucky that the area is restricted, but this will hold people for only a short period of time,” said Ziad.

“I have to try to protect the dam,” I said while thinking in a loud voice.

“But what can you do?” said Ziad.

I thought about Rachel and the diamond.

“There may be something that I could do,” I said. “At the moment can you not tell any one about this?”

“But why?” said Ziad. “Half the solution is finding the cause of the problem. We can get help to investigate things further and to try and neutralize the radiation and the fire flames.”

“Yes,” said Raed. “I saw a film where they used a gun that fires anti radiation bullets. You might be able to invent something like that.”

“I may know something that could stop the radiation,” I said. “Just give me few days. If I don’t succeed then we should announce what we have. Someone may have a solution. I’m just worried about people coming and further damaging the iron dam.”

Then I directed my attention to Raed.

“Specially don’t tell your friends while smoking shishah. I don’t want them to think that you are crazy.".

The sun was setting down with a beautiful red sunset in the mountains overlying the calm salty see. It was becoming quickly dark. The security forces approached us and warned us that we have to leave. We packed our equipment and headed back to Amman.