Chapter 1

"Mom! Dad! I'm home!" I shouted while struggling to carry most of my stuff in the house. Ugh why did I bring a lot of stuff to school. I huffed and proceed to carry the last bag inside the house.

"Aerin-ah! My child!" my mum hugged the shit out of me, almost make me drop the bag.

"M-mum, out of b-breath, t-too tight, heav-vy bag." I muttered hoping she'll let go of me and help me carry all of the stuff to my room.

"Honey, please, you're killing your daughter" my dad pulled her away from me. Oh dad thank you so much for keeping me alive, I don't want to die yet.

"Sorry Aerin-ah, I miss you so much. Now give me a hug" she said and pulled me for another hug. I hugged her back and smile at dad. "Hey old man, I miss you" smiling to my dad.

"I miss you too, bear" he hugged me. Yes, I am the bear. My parents always use that nickname instead of my real name, I don't even know why. Not only my family but the workers at the carnival also call me bear.

'How was graduation? I'm sorry we couldn't come to watch you graduate" he said.

"It's okay mum, dad. You guys were busy handing the carnival. The graduation was boring, we had to listened the principal's speech and I almost fell asleep, I mean I wasn't the only one who almost fell asleep then we lined up and go up the stage, smile to the camera and etc" I said boringly."Are you guys heading to the carnival?"

"Yeah, you want to come with us or stay at home and rest?" my mum asked. "I'll tag along plus its been years since the last time I went to the carnival" I said.

"Alright, oh and your grandpa going to be there too" dad said.

"Wow! This place haven't change a bit, well except for all the signs and boards, those have turn quite dull" I exclaimed. Carnival. my playground. I missed this place, after entering the boarding school I don't really get to go home and meet my family or even visit the carnival, one, my boarding school was in another province and it would be a waste of time just to go back home on Saturday then head back to school on Sunday. Two, growing up in a family which have the carnival as the main income was quite hard, we didn't really have that much money just for me to go back and forth from school and home every week.being I took in everything and smiled at the feeling of being back at home. But then I noticed something.

"Mum, dad? What happen to the carnival?"I asked as I noticed the lack of visitor.

"Well um how should I say this? Hmm people nowadays don't really enjoy going to carnival anymore unless-"

"unless what?" I cut him off .

"Unless there's gambling game in here." My dad said as mum looked at him with a worried look.

"Gambling? I don't understand"

"You know how those days when you play games in carnival and you'll get prize if you win. Nowadays, they want the prize to be money instead of toys or foods or snacks. That's why people go to the other carnival instead of ours." He said.

"B-but that's not how carnival supposed to run. Carnival supposed to be a place where you have fun with your loved ones not a place where you throw your money and do all those bad stuff" I said angrily. Why on earth would people gamble in a carnival? have they lost their mind?

"That's what they think nowadays" he said.

"We couldn't afford to pay for this place and the workers if we don't put the gambling in our carnival" mum said, sighing tiredly.

"There must be another solution to attract more people, and not by gambling." I muttered as my parents look at each other.

The next day I woke up earlier than my parents and head to the carnival to see if there's a way to attract people to come to our carnival. I walked around the carnival to get any idea to attract people. But how? Ugh idea please come right now. I need it.

Then I noticed all the signs and boards were dull. People won't go to a dull carnival wouldn't they? Carnival supposed to be happy and cheerful and colourful,. Heck I won't go to dull carnival either. So I decide to spice up the carnival a bit. I headed back to the house and grab my arts equipment.

Putting my hair in a bun, I started to redo the boards and signs with brighter colour. It wasn't hard for me to redo it since painting's my forte. I was one of the best art student in school and doing this pretty much a piece of cake.

I would compare myself with Leonardo da vinci but then I have a different theme than him. My artworks usually inspired by carnival and family. Therefore, my piece always have brighter colour than the other students.

"Want some help bear?" I turned around seeing my parents, smiling at me.

"No need, dad. I can do this on my own" I replied resuming my work of art.

"But we insist. We want to help you paint this things" mum said while holding another brush and start to do the other side of the board.

"Alright, alright. You can help, you too dad." handing him another brush and show him the part that he'll be painting.

Mum and dad was fooling around while painting and I smiled at that. It always a wonder how they can still be lovey dovey after 19 years of marriage. Sometimes I questioned myself whether they ever get sick of being lovey dovey at eacho other but then maybe that's why they love each other so much.

When can I be like that?