chapter twelve

'in some other life, we are standing side by side and laughing that, in some other life,
we are apart'
- david jones

'in some other life, we are standing side by side and laughing that, in some other life, we are apart'- david jones

genevieve kyra

I must have fallen asleep after breakfast, because when I woke again, we had stopped for the night at a hotel in Memphis.

It was pretty fancy looking, even from the outside. There were pillars of stone lining the entrance as we walked up it. Dad checked us in and he took us to the penthouse.

Sometimes I forget how rich they are.

The colour palette consisted of dark brown flooring and black walls. The couches and table tops were black and white and there were fancy lighting fixtures hanging from the high ceilings. One of the walls was almost completely windows.

I followed Easton up the staircase on the left to the bedrooms. We put the very little belongings we had with us, down in the bedroom he chose and walked back down to the living area. I took Atlas out of his arms as he wandered around the place. The rest of the boys, and Dad, were spread out around the place as well.

I walked over to Dad, who was leaning against the white island bench.

"We need baby formula, I used the rest we had from the bottle in the car on the way here."

We had two bottles ready for the restaurant that were in Easton's back pocket. On the drive away from the crazy restaurant scene, to here, I had already used up both. Atlas was getting fussy.

"I'll have some brought up, G." Dad replied, tapping on a contact on his phone and holding it up to his ear.

"I'm sure there's a market I can dash to. It's not a problem," I reasoned.

He sent me a hardened stare while waiting for the phone to connect. "Absolutely not."

I nodded swiftly and backed off, waking over to Easton.

"How ya feeling, Ky?"

I shrugged, "Still exceptionally tired somehow. Lassie won't shut up either. He's hungry."

He looked at the increasingly upsetting baby in my arms. "That bad huh? I've been tryna figure out what the fuck happened at that restaurant," he somewhat whispered to me.

"What's the verdict then?"

He looked around before leaning into me. "I think they're in a gang or something."