Prologue

Fifteen Minutes After The Engagement

"I still can't believe you went all the way to Portland for an engagement ring!" Mary Margaret exclaimed with a laugh. Regina cocked an eyebrow.

"Gossip spreads fast in this town, doesn't it?" She asked pointedly. Mary Margaret pursed her lips in conceit and Emma snickered, pressing a kiss to the cheek of her fiancé who sat beside her atop the blankets of the hospital bed.
Regina had never felt so happy. Only half an hour ago, she had been sent into the throws of grief having been told that the woman she loved was dead, and yet there she was, in the arms of said woman, both of them utterly euphoric and surrounded by the people who loved them most in the world.

Emma leaned her head into the nook of Regina's neck, snuggling close and allowing her eyes to flutter shut. She was exhausted, but so incredibly happy. Being there, her family all together and the love of her life in her arms was enough to send her into a deep, comfortable, and happy sleep, the first in her entire life.

Two Weeks After The Engagement

Emma awoke to the steady beeping of monitors beside her, the sun being blocked out by cheap curtains that gave the whole room an orangeish tint. She smiled to herself as she gazed around at the balloons, cards, and flowers, all wishing her a speedy recovery. She was pretty sure everyone in Storybrooke had sent something.

The door opened slowly and Regina's head peeked round. She beamed at her fiance who shuffled up in her bed with a small wince.

"Hey, no sitting up, you. I need my wife-to-be healing as quickly as possible." Regina scolded lovingly, planting a kiss on Emma's hairline and pulling a chair up to the side of the bed.

"Ohmygod you brought coffee! Real, actual coffee!! Granny's coffee!" Emma exclaimed, noticing the cup holder Regina had placed on the bedside table along with a brown paper bag. The brunette laughed; taking one of the cups and handing it to Emma who took it to her lips hastily, paying no mind to her tongue being burned as she sipped desperately. Regina had been hearing non-stop about how much Emma hated the coffee at the hospital, as well as basically everything to do with the hospital. Nevertheless, the pair were making the best of a bad situation. Besides, Emma would be out in only another week. Emma's eyes went wide at the sight of the brown paper bag.

"Is that...?" She asked with an excited shiver. Regina grinned and nodded.

"Regina Mills, you are the love of my life. If I could marry you right now I would." Emma moaned. The brunette frowned incredulously at Emma who snatched the bag and sunk a hand in, retrieving a doughnut covered in exorbitant amounts of chocolate icing. Regina grimaced at the sight of the treat, but the joy Emma expressed upon the first bite made the brunette forget all about the ache in her teeth from just looking at it.

Since the accident, Emma had dipped in and out of depressive episodes. The doctors promised that mood swings were a normal side effect of the strong pain killers they'd prescribed wearing off, preparing to wean her onto weaker ones. Sometimes her fiancé would be upbeat and optimistic, eager to begin planning their wedding; other times Emma would be a lifeless shell of herself, barely blinking in response to visiting friends and family. On a few occasions, Regina had arrived at the blonde's room only to be cussed out by her, insisting that the accident had been Regina's fault. Thankfully, these episodes were becoming less and less frequent, and Emma was more herself with every passing day.