Tomorrow - Chp. 2

2008, June 23th

                        I felt bad. I already told myself I needed to set aside some free time with John but there never seemed to be an opening during the day. The man had been more than accommodating but his frustration was being to show. I told myself father needed me and he did. There was still a wedding to plan and I hadn’t done a thing all last week. I was starting to think the inconceivable idea that we should possibly wait another couple of months or at least until father was feeling better.

            It was what Mrs. Thornton had suggested already, but I had been waiting to marry her son since the day I saw him. Another two or three months would feel like a lifetime.

            John wasn’t saying anything, but he was getting pretty fed up with the talk about delays and postponements. He was eager as I was. As the wedding was now a little under seven weeks away, we needed to talk about things. I hadn’t expected him to clear his afternoon schedule today just to join us for tea. But I was even more surprised when Hannah arrived with him.

At least we were able to sit together on the sofa. It was the closest we had been to each other in over a week. I would have preferred to be sitting on his lap and being held in his arms, but my future mother-in-law wouldn’t have taken too kindly to the idea. Had it been so long since she knew what it felt like to be in love? Judging from her stern looks and dour expression I would have to say it was, though I would never say it aloud.

“Another couple of months delay would give you more time to prepare, Margaret.”

Why did she have to keep bring it up? Hannah, I knew was trying to be practical, but I wanted to be married already.

“There isn’t that much to see do really. The church decoration can be seen to last… and… ”

“What of your reception?” She asked.

“We just need to approve the selections forwarded by the caterer.”

I hope John understood that we meant we two. He had been leaving most everything to me, letting my decision be the final word, but I wanted him involved. When I looked over at him, the smile he had was melting my agitation and sending butterflies to dance in my belly.

“John, perhaps you can come for dinner tomorrow so we can look over the menu?”

“Sweetheart, whatever you decide on is fine.”

“I know but I want you involved in all this. I still want your input.”

“Then you are decided on having the reception here… on the lawn?” Hannah asked.

I know she was still hoping we would have it at their home. It was a grand house they lived in, larger than most, old and distinguished at it had been in the family for generations. But one thing it lacked was a view of the river. It was the primary reason we chose this house. Once mum saw the view, she had to live here.

The thought I would be leaving this place made me feel sad. There had been moments when I wanted to ask John about living here instead of his family house in Reading. I had come to love his home, it was bigger than ours, and it reminded me of the Hale house in Belgravia. But this one had been home for the last five years and I was starting to feel melancholy about leaving it now.

“Well?”

John’s mother was looking intently at me, as was John. I did it again, I let my thoughts wander and looked sheepishly back at them, the question already lost and forgotten.

“Sorry.”

“I was asking if you are still decided on having the reception outside… on the lawn. What if it rains?”