Chapter 4: The Yule Ball

As the months went by, Christmas drew nearer and nearer.

Professor McGonagall called the students into her classroom one afternoon. She spoke with excitement and dignity. "Students. As a traditional event of the Triwizard Tournament, there is typically a ball made for Christmas. The Yule Ball has been celebrated for centuries and is a time where we..." she paused, "...let our hair down. I expect everyone on your best behavior, but I will be most discouraged if one of my Gryffindors acts up. Thank you for listening. You may exit."

Professor McGonagall called Harry forward as each student bustled out of the room. "You specifically need a date, Potter."

"A date? Why?"

"It is traditional that the champions open up the ball with the first dance."

He shook his head. "No, I don't dance."

"Well, you must for this occasion!"

She dismissed Harry, and he walked towards me, Ron, and Hermione. "Well, I need to find a date."

Ron snickered. "What about Cho Chang?"

Harry blushed. "I dunno. Maybe."

Hermione grabbed my arm as she watched Harry's gaze land on me. "We better go study in the library. Best of luck to you boys!" She tugged me up the stairs and into the library.

~~~

"Oww! Hermione! What was that for?"

"Shh!" Hermione put a finger to her lips and whispered, "Viktor and Draco." She pointed at two boys from behind the shelf. Viktor turned around and noticed her, and she jumped, scurrying off to the nearest table.

Viktor walked over towards me. "Hallo. Var did Hermy-own go?"

"Over there. Studying." I giggled.

"Vell, I'll go help her." He walked over towards her and began to blush.

"Oops! Umm, hi Draco." I realized I walked to Viktor's initially been, forgetting that Draco was there.

Draco smirked and ran a finger through my hair. "Pretty Kiara~, I was planning to ask you something~."

I blushed a bit, "Hmm? What?"

"Will you be my date to the Yule Ball? It would please me so much~."

I stared at him blankly. "Are you sure about that, Draco? I don't think I want to go with you. We've only just become friends."

Draco embraced me in his arms. "Please, Kiara~."

I rolled my eyes. "No. Take it or leave it." I slipped out of his arms and headed to the Gryffindor common room.

~~~

I crawled through the portrait hole to find Ron pale as the moon while Harry shook his head at himself and was pacing.

"Hey, guys, what's up?"

Harry looked up at me. "Oh, well, we just asked some girls to the ball."

I sat down in front of him. "And?"

Harry continued, "I asked Cho, who turned me down. She's going with Cedric." He added a scoff. "I should've guessed she'd be taken up by someone anyway."

I giggled. "What's up with Ron then?"

Harry laughed. "Guess."

"Hmm, he asked Fleur?"

Ginny walked over to her. "Well, he sort of shouted at her, and she rejected him. Now she's going with that Ravenclaw, Roger Davies."

I laughed and turned back to Harry. "So, who are you asking now?"