Chapter 16

George's head throbbed. It hurt to be so scared and confused constantly, especially when he didn't know how to escape it. Although he still felt hot with worry, and the sweat still clung to his skin, he shivered when he heard footsteps outside the door, he shivered when they stopped, and he trembled when there was a knock.

"George? You awake?"

The blonde's voice echoed in his ears.

Whether he wanted to respond or not; he couldn't. The words weren't forming in his brain. He was afraid that if he were stabbed, he wouldn't even be able to scream; afraid that all that would come out would be a silent gasp.

"George?"

He shook. His eyes snapped shut, he remained unmoving from his place in the bed. With a creek, the door opened. His eyes stayed shut. If he couldn't speak, he decided, he would just avoid Dream at all costs.

He felt the bed dip behind him. He lay on his side as he tried to calm his slight trembling.

A hand began to pet his hair. His eyes almost popped open in surprise. It was so... gentle? No way this was Dream. But was there a way? They seemed so connected at the pond. No— this man, no matter how attached he felt, was still the man that beheaded people for fun. For fucking fu—

A soft noise vibrated through the air, interrupting George's angry thoughts. Dream hummed softly, his hand continued gently caressing George back.

"—nd darling this is more than anything—"

The noise faded back into a wordless hum. George waited.

"Your everything that I want—"

The words cut off once again. The lyrics were mushed back into a hum, continuing on for minutes until silence filled the air once again. So silent George was unsure if Dream was even there anymore. The warm rub on his back had disappeared with the gentle voice. His dark brown eyes opened slowly, blinking against the harsh sunlight. He turned onto his back; his eyes met with green orbs that gazed down at him.

"Hi." Dream smiled.

George gulped. Fuck. What is he doing to me? His problem returned, and he remained quiet, unable to speak. He settled on just smiling back, no need for words.

Dream furrowed his brows at this, speaking softly, "You good? Do you feel okay?" George quickly nodded. Even then, Dream's hand, laced with veins, quickly came up to rest on his forehead. "You do feel a little warm. Do you want me to get you any water or anything?"

George shook his head "no" in response. Still confused, Dream just smiled with a slight nod. His eyebrows were still drawn together, as he gazed down at George.

With a sigh, Dream slid off the bed, still standing nearby. "Well," he started, "I guess I'll just head downstairs. Call me if you need anything."

Still not being able to muster any words, George just simply nodded. He assumed that would be it before Dream's departure, but prior to the blonde leaving, he watched as Dream bent over to place a soft kiss on his lips.

It only lasted a second or two, but it was still passionate, and even so, it was as light as a feather. George felt the strange fluttering feeling return to his stomach as he watched the blonde walk out.

What the fuck was that?

It seemed as if the tall man had forgotten all that he had put George through, similar to how the brunette had also felt a day ago. His mouth hung agape slightly. And the singing? What was going on? George was so genuinely confused; this felt so domestic and- and sweet?