Chapter 2: Changes

"Mommy, please don't go!"

"Trigon, you need to get away from here, take our daughter and protect her."

"Arella, I'm... I'm sorry. I wished I had been better for you and for her."

"Promise me you will look out for her, you're all she has now. Know that I love you both, now take her before they arrive."

"Mommy!"

-- -- -- --

Raven gasped as she awoke from her short nap, she could hear her heart pounding loudly into her eardrums. She touched her forehead, which was now soaking wet with sweat. That dream, no that memory Raven thought she had buried in the depths of her mind. Was now surfacing again after so many years. Raven had learned advance meditating techniques from the fire sages but being back in the Fire Nation was really messing with her mind. Raven started messaging her scalp as she could feel a headache wanting to start.

Raven thought back to when her Father had explained to her she was to leave the Fire Nation and spend her schooling years at the Fire Temple with the Sages as her tutors. She been just a girl then and didn't know how to respond, part her wanted to leave and yet a small part of her wanted to stay. That reason being the young Fire Nation Prince, Damian Al Ghul. When she first arrived into her father's homeland, Damian was the first one to try and make her feel welcome, he even tried his best to make her fear fire less.

The young girl looked at her right hand and saw the large burnt scar she had received that fateful night. A sudden flash of memories of the final moments she gotten to see her mother and her father embrace for one last time made Raven stumble down to the ground. She clutched her head and she heardhis voice again.

"Listen lassie, you have to stay on guard."

"Shut up! Get out of my head! I don't need this now! You're not real! It's all in my head! Please stop!" Raven cried out as she tried to massage and hold her head in between her sweaty palms. She could feel tears waning to escape as she tried to make the throbbing pain subside. Raven had thought this had been put all behind her, since she went to the Fire Temple. As a child she had these sudden episodes in which she couldn't herself making crash into things or stumble down as she clutched her head. These sudden outbursts worried her father, and, in the end, he had no choice but send her away. At the temple, Raven found herself living each day little by little and learning ways she could control her emotions so not to lethisvoice control her.

That day she lost her mother, Raven had started hearing a male voice speak out of nowhere. At first this other voice would tell things like things she shouldn't be doing or things that could cause her harm. At times it would come and bombard her calls whenever she was spending time with the prince. Raven remember once the voice was being very loud it took everything in Raven's will to keep a straight face while she was with Damian. The voice had gone dormant only aftershe left the Fire Nation Palace.

Knock... knock.

Raven looked up, her head still throbbing but she clearly heard the soft sound of someone knocking at the front door of her father's home. Raven got up, wiped the few tears from her face and took a few and long steady breath in order to think through the pain. She pressed her ear against the door and listened attentively as she asked; "who is it?"

"Raven!"

At the sudden and rather loud call for her name, Raven jumped scare away from the doorway. The young girl had to clutch now her scared heart as she let out a sigh of relief. Knowing she didn't have to fearthis particular voice. Slowing opening the door she found on the other side the one person that made her feel safe and the only friend she had made in this land of fire benders.

Prince Damian Al Ghul.

Raven smiled and looked at the older young man the young prince was accompanied with. The older man had some similarities as Damian, but he was larger built, and had a single white streak in his ebony hair. His skin was fair, almost brilliant like the morning star, while Damian's had that dark golden bronze skin that had been sculpted by the world's greatest spirits.

Damian cleared his throat and bowed towards her. "My apologies, that came out a little too... loud...cough...it's good to see you've return Lady Raven."

Raven laughed at his gesture before crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Knock it off, Damian you know I don't like all these formalities. I see you have your personal escort with you, tell me what devious plans you have to get rid of him?" Raven remembered when they were younger he would let her in on his plots to flee every sentry that his grandfather had ordered to guard the young prince.

"Let's say this is the only fire-bender I allow to follow me anywhere."

"I feel very touched young Prince. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Jason Todd the appointed sentry to guard our dear Fire Nation Prince."

Jason gave a courteous bowed towards Raven and she returned it by bending slightly as she had been taught as a child. "I am honored to meet you, I see that Damian values your company very much that he doesn't try to escape from you."

Damian chuckled lightly at her comment, "believe me I did try. Grandfather found him a month after you had left... there's so much we need to catch on, but it is rather late. I only came over to make sure you had everything you need. Know that the palace servants are at your disposal since you're the daughter of an admiral."

"I'm finding everything alright, but I appreciate you coming over and welcoming back... I did miss my onlyfriend I ever made."

Raven went up to him and carefully wrapped her arms around him for a gentle hug. He sure got taller. Raven couldn't help but compare how they had been almost the same height, with Raven being just an inch taller that the young prince when they had been kids. Raven sighed quietly as Damian he gently hugged her back. He was so warm, just like the sun.

Jason cleared his throat rather looking a little uncomfortable at being a third wheel in before their embrace. "It's getting late and I must say Lady Raven had a long day as yourself, Prince Damian."

"He's right, I will come back tomorrow morning. We can take a stroll through the gardens?"

"I would love that, thank you." Raven smiled as Damian gave her a most princely bow and turned around to leave. Jason gently nodded his head towards her before grabbing her hand and slipping something small without Damian noticing. Jason winked before letting go and keeping strides with the Fire Nation's prince.

Raven raised a brow before closing the door behind them. She opened up her hand to find a small piece of paper folded very carefully. She opened up the parchment and read the little note:

"In times like these you must learn who you can truly trust. Know that I am one of these, whenever you're in need of assistance, I, Jason Todd am at your disposal, Lady Raven."

Right.Raven sighed and looked out the window to catch a glimpse of the so-called greatFire Nation. No matter what she was a part of this land as her mother's homeland was a great part of hers. Raven found herself torn but she knew that sooner or later she would have to choose and deep within her heart Raven knew she would end up picking her mother's homeland.