Coffee Crush

"Except that's not true, is it?"

Moments before, Mindy said she would most definitely be on the list of young elves accepted to the North Pole as toymaker elves. After all, every Elfbright before her was a toymaker elf, her family particularly her parents being renowned for their abilities at making toys as toymaker elves.

"But Mindy is a shoo-in for being selected," Sammy piped up, pushing her glasses up slightly as she defended her friend. "Everyone knows Mindy scored the highest in the toy-making exam."

"I'm talking about her constantly telling us that every Elfbright is a toymaker elf when they're not."

Mindy Elfbright stood there looking in horror at Pepper who stood there with her arms crossed, one foot slightly ahead of her other foot while Pepper 's friends gathered around gawking. Pepper's blond curls cascaded around her shoulders, her eye eyes narrowed while her bottom lip pushed forward ever slightly.

"Don't," Mindy muttered.

"What? Mention that your older brother isn't? Rather convenient to leave that out?"

Mindy 's hands clenched and she bit down on her lip. She wanted to hit the other young elf as tears welled in her eyes. Cam, one of Mindy's other friends, frowned. "What do you mean?"

"She has an older..."

"Are the two of you not getting along again?"

Mindy turned her head while still biting down slightly on her lip while Pepper 's tone of voice changed. "Patty. We weren't fighting."

"That's not exactly the same as not getting along," Patty said. Her blond hair curled about her shoulders just like her younger sister's hair did. She pushed her lips together. "Given the fact the two of you aren't getting along, I'm glad I'd decided I would be returning to the North Pole this year."

"Really?" Mindy perked up. "What department?"

Patty winked. "I think I'll not say just yet, though I am planning on heading up before the newest Christmas Elves arrive—your group so that I might be of help to the head elf."

"He's old, isn't he?" Pepper frowned. "Like, one of the oldest elves there. There's only one other that is older than him."

"I wonder about that," Patty said. "Anyways, I'll see you later. Behave yourselves and get along."

She left. Pepper glared at her. "As if."

Mindy wanted to roll her eyes at Pepper 's response, only to see everyone staring at her as if she'd grown a second head. "Come on. Let's get out of here."

~

"I think you should head up early," her aunt said, surprising Mindy. "And without your friends."