(1) Obligations

Rick loves her but as an obligation to his wife and son, he made sure no one ever found out about his misleading feelings

Rick loves her but as an obligation to his wife and son, he made sure no one ever found out about his misleading feelings. Although after finding out Lori had been cheating on him with Shane, he finally decides to put his obligations aside for the good of himself and the woman he truly loves.
- Season 1
- Smut
- Little bit of fluff
- Technically it's cheating but it's also the end of the world and she did it first so I don't really count it.

—————————————————

Rick had always had his obligations, and he always made sure to stick to them. Be faithful, he was. Provide for his family, he did. Take care of his son, of course he does. Love his wife, he tried. He really did try but after meeting Cassie it all went down hill. She was a new cop, a rookie that needed extra attention and boy did he want to give it.

He shouldn't have felt this way and he knew it was wrong but it felt so right. She understood him, and instead of going to Shane about his problems he went to her. The nights he would spend on her apartment couch because he couldn't stand to be around his wife was uncanny.

"It's alright." She would mutter as she placed food on the table. Her smile was always bright when she brought him lunch and she made his heart flutter when she laughed.

He knew he was done for the first night he showed up at her place. It had been raining and he didn't know where else to go, so after remembering where she told him she lived he made his way there. When she opened the door, she stood in a long shirt and some boxers and he knew he was done for.

She smiled gently before letting him in, making him a cup of tea before letting him barrow her ex boyfriends clothes. He slept on the couch that night but all he could think about was her.

For months he had silently been suffering and then it all went to hell.

He had been shot and she was left alone.

——————

Cassie sat by his bedside, her leg bouncing like crazy as her hands were clasped together in front of her. He eyes were watered and red from crying for the man she wasn't supposed to love.

Lori rushed in the room with Shane and Carl behind her. "What are you doing here?! You're not welcome!" Lori snarled as Cassie stood up to speak but Lori wasn't having it. She walked up to Cassie and glared, "Get out." Then she proceeded to slap Cassie causing her to flinch but she didn't react much other than a small nod.

It was her fault anyway, Rick had thrown himself in front of her and got shot. They had just stopped a car chase when a unknown subject climbed out after the finishing shootout. He had his aim for her but Rick saw and grabbed her, turning his body and pulling her close causing the bullet to shoot him through his back.

"No!"

Cassie blinked back the tears as she wrapped her arms around her head to block out her own screams at the memory.