16 - Diamonds in the Sky

The PAW Patrol were scattered around the kingdom that morning, enjoying yet another day there. None of them decided to stay in their hotel room, considering that they would be going back home to Adventure Bay in two days. They all wanted to enjoy their time in the city.

Marshall and Everest decided to tour the city, Tracker, Rubble, Rocky, and Ryder treated themselves to brunch, and Chase and Skye were walking around a vast flower garden near the Big Ben clock tower. A butterfly landed on the Cockapoo's nose, its apricot orange wings with black streaks in it flapping gracefully as it made itself comfortable. Skye giggled, causing the German Shepherd to muster a smile as well. 

Underneath, all he could think about how they spent time for the past few days. 

It wasn't all positive. The two pups hardly spoke to each other, mainly because of what happened before his ex-best friend and him fought. The feeling still didn't sit right with the Cockapoo, but she tried to brush past that. Chase, however, couldn't resist.

"Skye, I'm . . . I'm sorry about the other day. You know . . . when," he couldn't find his words as they neared a fountain, the ongoing noise of water rushing out prickling his ears. He didn't know what words to use about the situation, so he sighed. 

"It's fine. It's just that you need to let things go. You can't just keep . . . arguing with Marshall," the Cockapoo suggested as the butterfly on her nose flew off. "It won't do neither of you any good."

"You have a point, but everything is just so confusing. We're not on good terms, and I don't know," Chase mused. "I think I'm starting to regret everything . . ."

"But didn't you call him a klutz multiple times? Didn't you trash talk him?" She questioned, her tone a bit aggressive. "How did your feelings change so quickly?"

The Shepherd shuddered, his mouth dropped. His mate normally didn't sound like this when she was speaking. She sounded joyful, kind of like cupcakes and rainbows. But no, her tone was so much different from that and she was already regretting it. She plastered a paw over her mouth, shaking her head. 

"I'm sorry," she apologized in an instant, her expression pensive. 

"Don't be. I get it. I still need to figure things out, so you are right," Chase sighed, sweeping his paws on the ground. "But for now, let's just enjoy this nature."

"If you insist," Skye said as she took his paw. "Let's check out the carnations over there."

***

Meanwhile, Marshall and Everest were sauntering around the city, strolling on the sidewalks as cars rushed by on the road. The buildings were a reasonable height and weren't modern. The same could be said about the lamp posts and everything else in the kingdom. It wasn't a bad thing. It was elegant and the two pups loved it, especially Everest, who hadn't spent this much time in the kingdom.

"Thanks for taking me out on this walk. It's been lovely so far," she beamed.

"It could've been better. This is just casual," Marshall winked. He wanted to spend as much time possible with Everest, so he made the best out of every moment. In his opinion, they could've been doing something much better, but the Husky insisted that everything was fine. 

The Dalmatian wanted to reveal his feelings to her, but he wanted it to be special. He didn't quite want it to be over dinner or sunset watching. He wanted it to be in a way that she would like. That would take quite some help to figure out, and some cringe worthy practicing in the mirror, but he knew that he'd get help from Ryder.

Speaking of Ryder, the two pups' pup tags lit up as Ryder's voice sounded. "PAW Patrol, I need you at the mission cruiser. We have a mission."

Marshall groaned. Not only because they were supposed to be on break, but because he wanted to spend more time with Everest. This mission would separate the two, but he hoped that it would be quick so they could get back to hanging out.