Chapter XXXV

Mist had engulfed the city. The sun had indeed risen but struggled to pierce through the suspension. Merchants had already begun setting up shops, and ladies went out into the street to buy some goods. Although still rather empty, life along the city grew once more, bringing Kota Sri Amosin back to life.

"Kabael?" said Paglinawan, upon seeing the ardha on a buffalo exit from the street, right into the main road, almost rushing past her. "Where do you think you're going?" She wore commoner clothes this time, with a shawl covering her head. Kabael pulled the reins. He sighed, shaking his head. "Don't you turn your back on me, ardha!" exclaimed Paglinawan.

Kabael pulled the reins of the buffalo sideways, until the beast turned around. Paglinawan had her hands on her waist, looking Kabael in the eye. She folded her arms, scowling as she approached Kabael. "Paglinawan, what are you doing here?" asked Kabael.

"I asked you a question first," replied Paglinawan. "Well, I escaped from my room without even bothering to wake up Tayag, without alerting all the other servants, but that's not important. What are you doing out here on your mount carrying your pack and all? Where do you think you are off to?"

"It's none of your concern, Paglinawan, and please don't try to use your status as princess here."

"I've no intention to," snarled Paglinawan. "Are you leaving Kota Sri Amosin? You just got here yesterday, and I don't believe your wounds have healed yet. I went all the way here to check on the three of you, and this is how you greet me?"

"I'm sorry, Paglinawan, but it is urgent that I leave Mandalungan right away. I don't think you'll understand if I told you my intentions."

Paglinawan sighed. "You still treat me like a child, ardha. Well, I'm not. I have every right to know where you are going, not as some spoiled, rich princess, but as a friend of yours."

Kabael flushed. "As a friend? I didn't think you'd see me that way."

"You're quite dense, ardha. I offered you tea in the wilderness the first time we met, as a gesture of friendship. Are you really going to forget all that, to just leave me here like this? Oh, you reek! Why do you smell like vinegar and peat?"

Kabael had his head down. "I suppose you do see me as a friend, and I shall return the favor of friendship, but from here on out, Paglinawan, you need to understand that I can't always be there for you nowadays, especially when I have my own matters to attend to."

"And if you don't mind telling me, what are these matters you speak of?"

Kabael looked up, staring into the sky above them. "Well," he said, "I'm off to find someone. If I don't, I probably won't see her ever again. The lands are vast, and she could well set off to other realms, or even to other empires. I may not be able to comprehend why she does so now, even if she told me the reason, but it would eat me if I just let her drown in her own sorrow."

Paglinawan puckered. The kampilan was attached to the saddle of the buffalo. "You mean . . ."

"Liwangin," said Kabael. "She's left. On her own. Not for Araw, but for far-away lands."

"But why? She seemed so happy with you. I've never seen her glow like that before, not even during my time in Araw. Doesn't she want to be happy?"

"I don't know, and I can't really speak for her. She controls her happiness."

"Then, why do you wish to find her, even if the chances are low?" asked Paglinawan. "It all really doesn't make sense to me, Kabael. Don't you want her to be free?"

Kabael nodded. "I do. She deserves every bit of freedom she can take. She's been contending with nothing but matters of the Council of Diwatas, perhaps to please her own mother. I want her to be free—as free as human beings are."

"If so," said Paglinawan, "why do you chase after her?"

Kabael sucked in some air. "I don't know. I don't think I can give you a decent enough answer now, Paglinawan. I won't even tell you that you'll understand someday, because I myself don't really understand why I would even try to chase after her, even though circumstances are against us. I just . . . I just feel that it is the right thing to do."

Paglinawan and Kabael paused. She stared into the ardha's eyes, which looked away from hers. There was a glow in Kabael's eyes, a warmth she hadn't seen before, and she knew right away what it was about.

"You really love her don't you, ardha?" she said. "You would do anything to be with her."

Kabael nodded. "Yes," he mumbled.

"Then I now know why you wish to chase after her. You don't need to complicate things, Kabael."

"I know, Paglinawan. I know."

"Then,"—Paglinawan looked down—"if you find her, tell her I send my regards . . . that I wish for her to take me back to Araw one of these days, and tell her I will see to her sisters settling in Mandalungan myself. It's only fitting that I do her such a great favor, for she too helped me."

"I promise you, Paglinawan," said Kabael, "I promise you, I will."

Paglinawan beamed. "Then, what are you standing here for, ardha? Go, set off, and find her. I will tell everyone of your leaving, and I shall tell all those in Mandalungan of your story. Ride, ardha. Ride for Liwangin!"

Kabael nodded. "Farewell, friend."

He turned his reins and kicked the side of his buffalo, and the animal went rushing down the main road. Paglinawan waved her hand, as Kabael began disappearing into the mist engulfing the city. The sound of Kabael yelling "Aj!" and the galloping of the buffalo resonated through the increasingly-busy streets of Kota Sri Amosin. Paglinawan thought she had seen the last of the ardha.

But the mist cleared up, and the ardha was far away on his buffalo, riding out to the city gates. He did not stop for anything. He rode off, gripping the reins of his mount and tapping its side to keep it moving. People along the streets fixed their eyes on the ardha, who rushed through the main street of the city, until Kabael reached the gates. There, his mount galloped through the passage between the pillars, out into the steps, where he disappeared as he went down, appearing again along the fields of the Mandalungan Plateau.

Paglinawan stared on to see a shadow of the ardha Kabael ride off through the fields, galloping through the road flanked by greenery—until he disappeared completely into the horizon, where skies of blue, now almost devoid of clouds, showed themselves, illuminated by rays of sunlight shining down the city streets. Now, it was time for Paglinawan to head back. She glanced one last time at the fields visible from where she was, smiling at every memory of the ardha who guided her to Mandalungan.

"Thank you, Kabael," she muttered. "Till we meet again."