<3 Chapter 1 <3

I stand in front of my mirror and sigh. I have an oversized shirt on and a pair of bike shorts. I hate how basic I look. Like every other girl in my school. I grab a black skirt from my cupboard and tuck my shirt into it adding a flannel shirt. I smile. Much better. 

I tie my hair into two braids on either side of my head. A little bit of natural makeup and eyeliner later and I am ready. 

I hear a knock on my door.

"Ready," I call out and my brother opens the door. He is in a sleeveless shirt and his basketball pants ready to go to basketball. I grab a small bag and put my phone and some gum in it. 

I head out the door and slide my Adidas superstar shoes on at the door. I hop in the car and my parents start driving. My little brother who is 3 sits in the middle and my brother is against the other door with both my parents in the front.

"How many shots do you think I will get?" He asks for family tradition. 

"6," I say. 

"6?" my dad exclaims from the driver's seat, "I think like 3."

"Geez thanks for believing in me."

"There's a difference between believing in someone and being unrealistic." Jake scoffs. 

"I'm going to get 7 now." 

"Sure you are." I laugh at my family before grabbing my phone out. I have a snap from my bestie Lana. I open it and it's a selfie of her in a new dress. I take a selfie before sending back the fire emoji and writing fire with heart-eye emojis. 

Before I know it we are already at basketball. I grab Lucus my younger brother from next to me and give him to my mum before walking in. 

I watch as people train before the game dodging their teammates and shooting. 

I follow my dad and sit down in the grandstands at the very back to get a good view of the whole game. I watch as my brother runs over and gets changed into his jersey before joining the rest of his team. He shoots and sticks his tongue out at dad when he does. 

I laugh at him. 

My attention gets bought back to the sidelines when I see someone with the same jersey as my brother on but I have never seen him before. He is far away but I can tell he is hot from here. 

He looks up and we make eye contact. I smile at him and he returns it. Thankfully my parents were distracted by Lucus. 

I watch as he runs over and joins the team. Give my brother a handshake when he does. My heart instantly sinks. He is friends with my brother. That means he is off-limits. 

I sigh. I really liked him a lot. The whistle blows and everyone gets in position before the game starts. Jake starts with the ball and dribbles it across the court but can't make a shot due to the defender so he passes it over to the new kid and he makes a smooth shot, the ball didn't even hit the rim of the net. 

I feel my mouth drop. He runs back up the court like it was nothing and positions himself for the ball. I watch him catch ball after ball and make effortless shots over and over again. 

He is really good. Every time he makes a shot his team pats him on the back and cheers for him. 

I can't help but admire his skills. I watch in awe as he shoots again for like the 20th time this game. I didn't think it was humanly possible to shoot that many times by yourself. 

When the final buzzer goes he shoots another shot and it counts bringing their total score to 56 to 13. 

My brother's team has always been good this is just the best they have ever played and it was all because of him. 

He looks up at the grandstand again and I try to tell myself he is just looking for his parents when he makes eye contact with me again. I feel myself blush and I quickly look away. I couldn't help myself. 

After the coach talked to his team for a while my brother walks over followed by his new friend. 

"Mum, dad I want you to meet Carter." Carter puts his hand out and shakes both my parent's hands. It upsets me a bit he didn't introduce me but he shakes my hand anyways. 

"Carter." His voice is deep but smooth and comforting. 

"Sapphire," I say back. I don't know if anyone else noticed but he held my hand for a little bit longer giving it a squeeze. I have the urge to blush again but with Jake here it's too risky. 

"Is it ok if I go home with him?" Jake asks. 

"Sure," my mother says, "he seems like a wonderful young man."

"Maybe you could learn something from him."

"Maybe he can teach me something too he is quite a skillful player. I wouldn't have been able to make those shots without his help." I smile he's humble too.

"Thanks, man," Jake says.

"Just facts." He says turning back to my parents. "We must be heading off now. Thanks Mr and Mrs. Simmons." 

"Please call us Judy and Sam."

"Will do," he says before turning around and walking away with my brother. I smile watching him walk away. He is perfect.