Chapter 15

Stiles knows he can't stay in Beacon Hills with his father forever.

Not only is his entire life in New York City, but he still needs to go back to Derek for the last two months of his pregnancy. But to say he's not looking forward to go back is an understatement.

"You know we can't stay here any longer," Scott tells him.

"No shit," Stiles says, glaring at him. "I know I have to back. I don't need you to tell me that."

"Stiles," Scott sighs, giving him a pointed look.

Stiles deflates. "I'm sorry, it's just— I don't know what I'm going to do once I'm back there."

"You'll figure things out," Scott says firmly. "Like you always do."

He's worried that it's not as simple as that this time around.

But still, like he said, he knows what he's supposed to do.And by that he means he knows he has to go back, because he still has no clue how he's going to deal with his feelings for Derek.

So he packs his bags, says a long goodbye to his dad and Melissa and heads to the airport with Scott, dreading every moment that brings him closer to Derek.

Every moment that brings him closer to dealing with what's possibly the worst decision he's ever had to make: tell Derek about his feelings and run the risk of being rejected and never being able to see his son again? Or don't tell Derek about his feelings for him and definitely never see his son again?

Kira and Derek are waiting for them at the baggage claim, and Stiles aches at the elated look on her face when she sees Scott.

The look on Derek's face seems to be just as eager,and Stiles can feel his heart beat a little bit faster at the sight of it.For a second, Stiles thinks that Derek is going to pull him into a hug, but instead he just grabs Stiles's bag from him after a quick rub on the underside of Stiles's belly.

Stiles hugs Kira and Scott goodbye, giving Scott a shaky smile when his best friend holds him for a few seconds too long and gives him a look as if asking if he's going to be okay.

He knows Derek notices the exchange, and once again he's grateful Derek is not someone to push for answers people don't want to give. Because Stiles is pretty sure that if Derek were to confront him now about what's been going on with him, Stiles would burst into tears.

Or kiss him and profess his love.

He doesn't know which one is worse.

"How's your dad?" Derek asks him, glancing at him from the corner of his eye.

"He's okay," Stiles says softly. "Better now that the anniversary's come and gone."

"That's good," Derek nods. "And how are you?"

Stiles swallows hard, hand finding its way to rest on top of his bump.

"I'm okay," he says, and at the slight tensing of Derek's shoulders, Stiles wonders if he can hear his lie.

They drive home in silence, and Stiles hates how awkward things are between them. It's amazing how things can go so wrong in just a short week, with them going from laughing and smiling and being comfortable around each other to this.

They walk up to the apartment in silence, Derek still holding onto Stiles's bags and placing his arm lightly on the small of Stiles's back.

Part of Stiles wants to lean into the touch, take advantage of it for as long as possible, but the more logical part of him knows that would only make things harder later on. And it'salready hard enough.