An Image Engraved

"I kept calling his name but was too afraid to shake him. I realized the sauce was..blood.

I felt guilt, had I ruined her innocence?

"Then I ran out the front door and all the way to you. He wouldn't wake up which meant...he was.."

I nodded "You don't have to say it"

"And then you ran right to me right? "

"Yes.."

"Okay"

"Will I get...am I going to jail Benny?"

"No"

"Are you?"

"Why would I be?"

"Well what if someone frames you..You were awful close by"

"Don't worry about me poppyseed" I folded my arms. "Just because people hate me doesn't mean I am guilty"

She smiled and took another lollipop from the jar. "Even though we butt heads, I know you are innocent. You are secretly mushy and kind in there"

"Hush"

"I won't tell" she giggled.

Pete and Ruth walked in not long after, Ruth looked nervous but not in distress.Which was a relief to me. Pete gave me a wink as he showed her to an interrogation room. "Stay put Poppy" I said, standing up and making my way to the room. I sat beside Pete and poured myself a glass of water from the pitcher on the table. Then I poured her one.

"Well Ruth I've got a few questions for ya if that's alright" Pete took out a notepad.

"Yes that's alright" she nodded. I stared at her a long while silently, she was more beautiful by the second..Pete explained the state Mr.Miller was in to which Ruth just shook her head and mumbled "Oh dear.." and "That's Terrible.." But she avoided looking at me, did she think I turned her in..?

"Ben Isn't it?" she smiled at me finally, while Pete stepped out and gathered his paperwork.

"Yes" I stared at the table.

"You didn't rat me out did you?"she teased before covering her mouth. "Oh that's a terrible joke to make at a time like this.."

"It's alright" I reassured her. "I don't think you did anything.."

She smiled at me again "You don't?" I shook my head. "You were walking away from the Miller house but that doesn't mean you were there"

"Ben..That means more to me than you know"

I felt my face get hot again. "It's no trouble at all.."

Pete stepped back in with a stack of paperwork. "Your alibi checks out Miss Collins. But I will need to take your shoes"

"My shoes?'

"They got to be tested for blood. It's just part of the process. A swab, fingerprints, and some clothing. But I don't want to make a lady stick a swab in her nose. The shoes will do"

She slipped her shoes off gently and handed them to him "I understand"

"You'll get em back tomorrow no problem missy!"

"Thank you" she smiled.

I admired how nothing that had happened today bothered her much. She was not fragile but rather she was gentle. "A lady shouldn't walk home barefoot" I blurted out. This almost irritated me. I had self control normally but I meant what I said none the less.Ruth glanced at me "Well I don't mind at all. I can wait"