Chapter 1 ~ Festive Fraud

Christmas had always been Elizabeth Reynolds' favourite time of year. The time of year where children's eyes glisten with excitement on a bitter morning, as they press their little noses up against the misted glass and observe the white flurry, settling on the earth. Pulling on their winter garments and rushing out to feel the crunch of the fresh powdery snow, muffled beneath their feet. It's a simple pleasure but the world smiles - Jack Frost's gift this year.

Elizabeth straightens the angel atop the tree then leans down to watch the flame dance in the heart of the fire. With a mug of hot cocoa and a gingerbread man in her grasp, everything is content.

She takes out her phone and snaps a smiling selfie with the six foot tree behind her. "It's not much but I thought I'd spice the place up whilst I'm here. Cheers to New York!" Elizabeth captioned the photo before uploading it to her page.

New York seemed like the core of Christmas, which made it the perfect destination for an aspiring painter like Elizabeth, desperate to capture the magic in a still portrait.

With the morning reaching it's final hours before dinner, Elizabeth ventured out onto the chilly streets, her neck tightly encased in a lavender scarf. She explored diners and café windows before settling on the perfect place to grab a coffee.

Shivering in line, Elizabeth waited patiently as customers before her were handed their piping-hot beverages. As the line drew closer to the counter, a tall male figure slipped in front, blocking her view of the cashier.

"Excuse me! I think you just cut in line" Elizabeth smiled, pointing out the man's mistake.

He turned to face her with eyes the shade of the cocoa she drank this morning. His jaw, crafted and chiselled with a lengthy amount of stubble crowded along it. His eyebrows sunk low on his brow, giving him a look of annoyance however the smirk forming on his lips suggested otherwise.

Running his hand through his chestnut hair he spoke with a gravel voice "Sorry darling, forgive me, I'm just late for work that's all"

Elizabeth sighed in contemplation for a moment. She was the last one in line and he was only going to hold her up. "Go ahead" she smiled after some time, stepping back and allowing him to slot back into the gap ahead of her.

He thanked her and when it was his turn, approached the counter with confidence "I'll have a regular flat white please"

Elizabeth watched as the man dug around in his pockets, every delve becoming more frantic.

"Something wrong sir?" The cashier questioned, noticing the struggle.

He laughed for a moment before rubbing his forehead in disbelief "I forgot my wallet. Can you believe that? What's that saying... I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on!"

Elizabeth sighed once more and rested her hand on his arm "Here let me pay, my Christmas gift to you" she smiled sweetly, before placing her own order.

"Oh no, I couldn't-" The man refused with a chuckle.

"Look, it's Christmas, I insist" Elizabeth nodded with reassurance.

"Thank you, for your kindness" the man gazed back at her "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas!" Elizabeth waved gently as the alluring gentleman left.

Later that same afternoon, Elizabeth, fuelled up on coffee and a festive bagel, wandered the bustling shopping centre in search of the perfect holiday gifts for her family and friends back home.

In the middle of the mall, kids gathered around an enormously decorated tree, waiting in line to sit on Santa's lap.

When passing, Santa's voice carried into Elizabeth's ear and she stopped. Drawing closer to the line, she saw those wonderful brown eyes once again.