back story

(Brendon POV)

we layed in the backyard in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was peaceful. We had been laying here for about an hour, and if anything came to our minds we would say it. I noticed how Ryan seemed to be really tense, and on edge, but chose to ignore it. We eventually heard my mom yell out for us to come eat. We both stood up and he still seemed like he was nervous, or scared so I decided to ask him about it.

"Hey, Ryan, are you ok? You seem nervous."

I ask him, he looks at me confused.

"I'm fine. Yeah. I'm great."

He said, it almost seemed like he was trying to convince himself he was ok. I didn't believe him, I knew him better than that. I knew something was up.

"Ry. Please tell me what's wrong."

He looked down and started playing with his hands. At this point there was no backing out of telling me what's wrong, he had to, he knew I knew something was up.

"I-"

He started then sighed

"I'm trying out for the football team. I know we usually do band together every year, but I really, really want to try out for football.please don't be mad at me."

He says. I laugh.

"I'm not mad at you. If you wanna do football, then fine. Go do football. Just don't forget about me when you get popular"

We both had a little laugh and went inside, to where my mom was frantically putting things into a bag. I stopped her and asked what was wrong.

"you need to go home with Ryan tonight. Your father is coming home and he's mad."

She explained. This would usually happen when my dad came over. He would be drunk, or just really mad. So I ended up going to Ryan's when he came.

"mom,  he's gonna hurt you. I can't leave knowing that."

I try to get her to stop, but she kept on putting things into the bag and pushed me out the door. I sighed knowing there was no stopping her from getting hurt and just let it be.

"come on lets go. My mom won't mind"

Ryan says patting my shoulder and starts walking to the sidewalk. I walk beside him as tears force there way down my face. I try to stop them but they keep coming.

"hey, Brendon. She's gonna be ok. She's a strong woman. She'll be fine. I promise."

Ryan tries to comfort me. I just nod as we walk up to his house. The things my dad would do to my mom were running through my head as I broke down the second we walked into his room.

"I'm sorry, Ry. I really am. I just really hope she's ok..."

And that's the last thing I remember from that night.