godsent

I have always hated my chubby hands, as they make it difficult for me to grasp things. I have sweaty palms, too.

Who would have loved my hands?

Nobody did, not even me, until you came along one Saturday night in the convenient store I used to work part-time for.

Usually, nobody buys past twelve midnight. It was a shock to me that someone in a snorlax onesie was walking towards the ice-cream station.

You brought three tubs: a vanilla, a coffee crumble, and a strawberry. You held them all, hugging them even.

I heard you sniff three times and muttered something about a book. You walked towards the counter, and I was too stunned to speak. You were wearing shades, a big one.

" It breaks my heart. "

You put down the tubs and fished your wallet out.

" Hmm. What does? "

It shouldn't hurt to try, right?

" Just a book. "

" It's not just any book. "

" How did you know? "

" Would you cry if it is just another story? "

And that was the tip of the iceberg.

We talked for hours about the book that made you buy three tubs of icecream in the middle of the night wearing your snorlax onesie.

" Is the little prince dead? "

" He grew up. "

" I wish he didn't. "

" Even if he did, he would always have that."

" Have what? "

" Whatever it is that has been tamed. "

Your frowns turned into a funny gummy smile, the one I'd tell our kids if we'd have any. You were cute that day, but you have grown way too beautiful throughout the years.

" I think for more than a millisecond, I like you. "

It made me blush.

" I think of that, too. "

I asked if I could hold your hands, and you nodded immediately -- turning my heart into a frenzy.

" My palms are sweaty. "

" I'll still hold it."

I smiled as I felt your fingers finding their way to mine, fitting the missing pieces of the puzzle.

" It sure is, but I don't mind. "

" Thank you, Ruby. "

Since then, my hands became familiar with your touch -- knowing each one has a different need and attention. With you, my hands are neither tiny nor sweaty.

It is yours to hold for life.