Chapter 1

This is my first published story so PLEASE comment if you didn't like something or if my writing needs help. I love criticism, so feel free to use it.Thanks! :) 

_________________________________________________________________________________

I looked around, checking one last time to be sure that security couldn't see me and the swivelling lights of the nightclub didn't shine up at the roof. I was standing  on the edge of a building, my dirty-blond hair whipping loosely around my head into the summer night. My silky cream dress clung in all the right places and I had to say, I was feeling pretty good. It's really too bad I was about to jump two stories down on to the roof of the nightclub below me. That sort of thing can tend to mess up your hair.

I quickly peered over the edge of the building and my heel ground into it causing gravel to rain down below. I took a deep breath, grinned wildly: and before I could second guess myself, I  jumped. The air rushed quickly around me as I gained speed with my fall. Everything was suddenly muffled and the escaping music from the club seemed to get quieter as I fell. The building came fast as I landed my jump with a roll that broke my fall while also allowing me to roll back up so that I was standing. The jump was pretty far, so landing hurt my shoulder when I rolled. I stood up, rubbing my shoulder absently,  as I walked quietly across the roof until I saw what I was looking for. 

Bingo. I thought. 

There was a little window on the roof of the nightclub that was hidden in the dark shingles of the roof. Riot Nightclub had been an old mansion which was renovated in the 1990s and again in 2000 and 2010. The building originally had no air conditioning so there used to be glass windows all over the house that were originally used to open in order cool the house down. They were eventually locked up and replaced with clear plastic so that the drunk crack-addict clubbers wouldn't jump off the roof. However, the club owners didn't bother with the roof window because most people weren't able to land the jump, let alone crazy enough to jump off two stories to get to it.

Well, I would.

Then again, most people weren't me. Now I'll be the first to admit I'm not like most girls. Sure, I knew a few things that normal girls knew: how to put on makeup, how to make friends, how to make mac and cheese without the fire alarm going off...okay so maybe I can't do the last one. And maybe I'm not the best at talking to boys I actually like or at going to school like your average teen. But I can MacGyver pretty much anything and I can jump off of two story buildings. So if you even out the things a normal kid and I can do, I guess you could say we're kind of equal.

I quickly smoothed out my dress  so that it wouldn't wrinkle, and with one hard kick I swung my heel around so that I broke through the little window. There was a huge crash as the glass shattered and I heard a security guard let out a surprised cry. As he scrambled to call for backup I slapped my hand over his mouth and hit him in the neck so he fell to the floor unconscious. He was the only guard on duty in the attic and getting downstairs was a breeze. I was actually starting to get pretty cocky about how smoothly the whole ordeal had gone until I found myself at the bottom of the stairs. The security guards looked up at me and then at the attic floor above and back with confused expressions. People were dancing all over and I was in plain sight so I couldn't knock them out.

I mentally kicked myself. Way to go Audrey. How are you going to get out of this one? 

I rushed to think of an excuse. Smiling sweetly I told them I had to go to the bathroom but that I was fine and that they shouldn't worry about me. They nodded without thinking and before they could process that the attic didn't have a bathroom and that they hadn't seen me go upstairs at any point. I bolted out of there hoping they just thought I was some drunk weirdo at Riot who forgot what a bathroom looked like.