Update/Edit-2021

I had originally written this poem for a friend of mine who we found out would be moving out of state in late 2015.
Not too long after, in September 2016, she took her life. She was only 17.
This poem has taken on a whole new meaning to me. As I read it now, 5 years later, it is more of a memorial piece than it is a poem for a long distance friendship.
Erin was a kind soul, the mother figure of our friend group in high school. She would always make sure we were fed and hydrated. Always reached out to us about our mental health, our relationship struggles, if we had any new special interests. She taught me how to play piano and could play Phantom of the Opera with her eyes closed. We had been learning a piece together, the FairyTale main theme; her on piano and me on violin.
I haven't been able to pick up my violin and play that song since her passing.
Though our friend group has disbanded, we still all hold the love for her in our hearts every day. I carry her with me, her name on a grain of rice with a cherry blossom in a charm around my neck. A constant reminder of her and her love for simplicity and beauty.
I would like to close this with a reminder to reach out and check on your friends, especially the ones who spend the majority of their time checking on you. They hold so much back to make sure you're ok. We all struggle with our own battles, some of us outwardly and some silently. Reach out to those you haven't seen in a while. In times like this lord only knows they need it.
Be well
Fly high Erin