Introduction

"Travel far enough and you meet yourself."

The moment she materialized at my performance, time stopped. The air grew stale, electrifying. My chest collapsed and my hands no longer belonged to me. Static made the hairs on my entire body prickle as her dark eyes crept into the unknown corners of my soul. A smile of malevolence slowly spread across her face, and with a crack of lightning in the distance, she vanished as fast as she had appeared.

My audience watched as I continued to pull half a rabbit from the bottom of my tattered hat. With an audible gasp of surprise and fear from the few people who showed up to my traveling magic show, I apologized and excused myself. In my haste, I left behind the remains of my magic trick to be gawked at by those brave or disturbed enough to be curious.

I didn't know who she was, but I've always been aware of how omens work, and she had been following my travels for a while. The moment she decided to haunt me, I knew. Disaster struck each town I traveled to, leaving in my path a wake of destruction and natural disaster oddities. Violent floods in Plano, fires in Hot Springs, earthquakes in Reno, and tornadoes in Santa Fe. Contrary to popular belief, these natural disasters don't just happen. Such disasters are summoned and conjured by darker forces than I had ever been comfortable dealing with.

I knew the second I had crossed paths with someone who dabbled in the dark arts; it caused within me a deep fear on a primal level. I felt powerless, and after looking into her eyes, I knew.

I had fled from my table of enchanted trinkets and magic tricks into my Airstream, my little silver sanctuary in the wild west. Though small and slightly cramped, it was the only place I felt safe.

I knew disappointed patrons would begin to rap on the sides, disgruntled and confused by my hasty exit. When they did, I would explain that I grew faint with the damp chill of the evening air. Most people understood that travelers such as myself were not as accustomed to the quick weather changes associated with life in the desert, and would occasionally grow ill.

I sat on the edge of the bed, fixated on thoughts of her darkness, when the first light tapping began. When I opened the door, a few people stared, wide-eyed, in confusion, wanting answers.

"I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen. It seems as though with the sudden chill in the air, I've lost my ability to perform with accuracy. I hope you can forgive me."

A young girl stepped forward, "will the bunny be okay?"

"Ah, certainly. I'll have him mended by morning." I bowed and pulled a poppy from my sleeve. I presented the ruffled orange flower to the girl. Satisfied with my explanation, everyone moseyed away from my trailer.

As for the rabbit, he will remain un-mended, as I do not care to tango with the dark arts.

I sat on the edge of my bed, again, twirling a second blood-red poppy between my fingertips. As my mind began to wander, I heard another tapping on the side of my trailer. Frustrated, I opened the door expecting to answer more questions and inquiries from other members of the audience.

No one.

The hair on the back of my neck stood on end and prickled; she was close. In the distance, I could see storm clouds rising into mountains. Shocks and webs of lighting stirred and danced deep within the belly of the coming storm.

"What omens do you bring this time?" I asked into the night.

A rustling in the nearby sagebrush startled me, and what I saw in that moment brought me instant terror and a sleepless night.

A bony, hairless black dog appeared from behind the bush, teeth bared.

A normal dog baring his teeth can bring fear to anyone in the middle of the desert, but this dog was a death omen. I stood paralyzed by fear, looking the emaciated beast in his golden eyes. Those few moments of my life felt like centuries.

Finally, the hound broke his gaze and sauntered into the inky darkness of the night. There was no doubt in my mind that this dog was sent to me as a warning.

That night, I lay in my small bed, staring at the ceiling above me and listening to the thunder rumble and bellow around me.