THREE

Besides the weird stare from Finn, everything went smoothly. That alone was weird.

Maybe it was stupid of her to assume that her family would pile into her when she returned.

Her fear of being interrogated didn’t come true. They were calm about the whole situation.

No drama, no questions. Which was surprising, considering they didn’t stop trying to contact her for about three years.

She figured they must have gotten the message, and she was happy about that.

“Do you think we’ll have enough beer?” Katherine breathes heavily while rubbing her belly.

She turns to her sister. Smiling as her worry meter slowly rose, seeing Katherine obviously tired.

“I don’t think so, and that’s probably a good thing? We don’t want drunk people drowning in the pool.” She said.

Katherine was in so many ways a perfectionist too, though not as worst as her younger sister. She liked things in order and flowing well, stressing herself with minute details and she couldn’t almost sit still.

It was starting to go dark and everyone had sat around the table, waiting for the evening to start and eat food, which was probably the only reason some of them were here, considering there were unfamiliar faces present.

Minutes after everyone was seated, a crowd of about fifty people became boisterous as they cheered.

Her attention was perked, and she stood from her seat, looking at where everyone was staring at. It was as if a silent storm loomed over her head. In the distance were people she couldn’t wait to ignore for the evening.

“They’re here,” Katherine sought her hand out and held it reassuringly.

She looks at her sister, hiding her discomfort. She smiles, hoping to ease the tension between both of them.

Her father’s brown eyes trapped her. He was stunned. She offered him the kindest smile she could make and looked down at her feet.

“Marcos is here and Sara too.” Her sister spoke.

Though that was already obvious. She wasn’t excited seeing her first ex-boyfriend with her ex-best friend, now married and had a family of their own.

And as Nadine raised her eyes, her attention was drawn to Sara’s pregnant belly.

She trembled. Her eyes welled with tears about to be shed. But it was her older sister that rescued her. Katherine pulled her away and snuck through the crowd.

“Thank you.” She whispered, still shaky.

“Let’s talk in my room,” Katherine mutters under her breath.

It should have been years ago, but why does it still sting? And worst of all, her parents were there, standing next to the people that caused her to leave her home.

Tears slowly crept down her cheek. She felt like a teenager again. But somehow, she knew this was going to happen.

Katherine sat her down and wiped the tear on her cheeks. She cringes at the sweet smell of the fabric conditioner on her sister’s handkerchief.

But she made no protest, her big sister just holding her close as if she was going to go away again.

“Sorry, I’m such a wuss,” Nadine whispers sullenly.

“Oh, baby. You might have left, but you're still my kid sister. I’m always going to take your side.”

Nadine didn’t say a thank you. There was simply no need to. After she had spent her time away from home, she thought she was stronger now.