Prologue - Rufus

At first,
the pain is crushing.

I try my best to ignore the gut wrenching sound of what I'm sure has to be my cracking rib cage. It's mad that I can barely draw in a breath without excruciating pain, and yet, somehow my phone is having no problems continuing to play the sound of the familiar voice that had been coming from my headphones.

I try to focus on it.

The familiar melody. The consoling memory. The thought that in a matter of minutes, I'll be reunited with the adorable boy in glasses that I fell for in less than a day, on our shared End Day.

Mom and dad will be there too. Olivia as well. And the ache of trying to suck in a breath, feeling like my entire body is slamming harshly against the hood of a carelessly speeding car once again? Will feel like nothing, but a distant nightmare.

They say your life flashes before your eyes as you're about to exit this world, but as the hurt finally starts to subside, all I can see is a blinding white light at first.

Is this it?

I can't help but wonder. No. A part of me still hasn't let go of this world. I can hear sirens wailing around me, shouting close by, but I can't make anything coherent out of the words.

The song.

I try to search for the song. I am literally, fucking dying to have Mateo's voice comfort, and accompany me into whatever comes next.

The pain's died down. And now...it almost feels like I'm floating. Going down a tunnel of memories, but the thing is that none of these seem to be mine. And yet, somehow I feel a strange connection to them.

A post office.
Tandem bike.

...And then...

There's a boy.

With the cutest, messy brown hair.
And bright, alien blue eyes behind a pair of glasses that I immediately recognize, even though it feels like I'm fading. Like my memories are failing. And I know. I know that even though the boy I can see looks nothing like the Mateo I know? I'm 100% sure that is Mateo's pure and kind soul in there.

'I will make it so easy for you to find me. Neon signs. Marching bands.'

I see marching band proposals,
and Broadway neon lights.

I hear singing,
And catch a glimpse of us exploring New York City.

Come on universe.
Come on universe.