Crystal Hearts and Grinding Gears

• Dedicated to Rebecca Wilson

AN: Guys so i hate it when i do this, posting new stories before working on old, but this story idea has bee nbugging me so imma post this and possibly the second chapter of this fic. Its a Steam Powered Giraffe fic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Amber's POV:

"Okay, class, get out a pencil and some paper!" My English teacher, Mrs. Baker, shouted over the noise of the class. I pulled out one of my many notebooks and flipped through my drawings and fan art to a blank page. I turned the music on my school issued iPad down and took an earbud out. English was one of my favorite classes, so I always tried to pay as much attention as possible.

"Today, we are going to start a new writing assignment." She stated and a few kids in the black of the class groaned in annoyance.

"You will have a month to write a story about meeting a famous person or book. They can be fictional. For example if you wanted to you could write about meeting the Phantom of The Opera." She said and looked at me. I am a huge phantom of the opera fan, but I was getting tired of writing about POTO so much.

"How long does it have to be?" One of the kids in the back questioned.

"I expect at least five pages, but I know some of you can write more." She said and looked at my friend Paige and I. We had written a four page story that was only required to be 3/4 of a page.

"But, all you have to worry about today is writing a rough draft." Mrs Baker stated, and the kids in the back let out a sigh of relief.

I hate writing rough drafts, so instead I started to doodle on my page. I have no idea what I'm going to write about except for the fact it would not be Phantom of the Opera-related.

"Do you have anything yet, Amber?" Mrs. Baker questioned and knelt down besides my desk.

"No, because I don't want to write anything phantom-related." I started putting down my pencil.

"How about one of your favorite bands? Just go into your music, hit random, and write about the people whose song shows up first." She suggested. I nodded in reply, unlocked my iPad, and hit random.

"Ever since the first time I opened my eyes. I've awakened to the same thing. Other automaton friends roughly built like me," Played in my ear as Steam Powered Giraffe's Automatonic Electronic Harmonics played.

"Write about them!" Mrs Baker exclaimed with a grin walking off.

I wrote down the names of all the band members, both current and former, right as the bell rang. I got up and walked out to my bus and got in my seat right over the rear right wheel. I turned my music on and started playing all the SPG music I had downloaded hoping to get ideas. So far, however, I had nothing.

My cell phone buzzed in my satchel and I dug it out. I have pretty much everything in either my satchel or backpack, so it took me a minute to get my phone. I had a text from my friend Rebecca.

R: Ya still coming camping with me?

Me: Ya. Can I bring my writing stuff? I gotta work on that English assignment. I'm doing mine on SPG.

I closed my phone and looked out the window, a few moments later there was a reply.

R: Same! Sure lol, hey they have a concert tonight and guess whose got tickets!?

Me: you!

R: that's right! We are gonna go! Then we will head to the campground.

Me: yeah... Don't let my rents know about it tho..

I replied my adoptive parents didn't like my choice in music because it was different.

R: im not gonna mention it. Oh btw Amelia got the okay to come with us too.

Me: Awesome! I was hoping she would. Do you think if we stopped at Walmart and got some hair dye she would do my hair?

Amelia's hair was a straight lavender-ish/pinkish color. Mine was blue and black, and Becca had rainbow hair.

R: maybe. You wanna know what's weird, she's doing her report on SPG also..

Me: that's odd... Mrs Baker told me to play a random song on my iPad and use that band so that's how I got them..

R: that's even creepier cause that's how we got them too... The song that played for us was AEH...

Me:... Same... This is really creepy... Well I gtg I'm at my bus stop.

I replied, put my phone back in my bag, jumped off the bus, and walked to my house. I made note of the fact both Phil and Lillian's cars were home. Before I even finished opening the door, Phil was already asking me a question.

"Are you packed for that stupid camping trip of yours?" He questioned.

"I was packed two days ago, Phil..." I replied and went to my room to grab my stuff.

"Your friend better get here soon before we change our minds!" Lillian shouted.

I went out to the porch and waited. I honestly thought this trip was a little dumb... We're going to go camping in February in Indiana. It's pretty cold to be camping, but I'll do anything to get out of the house. I didn't even think there would be a campground open in Indiana this time of year. Maybe the campground is supposed to be near where the concert is supposed to be and Rebecca just had this planned.

A few minutes later Rebecca pulled up in her car and her and Amelia jumped out, it was my luck that's when Phil and Lillian decided to come outside also.

" These are the friends you're supposed to be camping with?" Lillian sneered in disgust as she eyed them up and down.

"Yeah, they're like the only friends I have..." I replied and picked up my bags.

"I don't like them. I don't want you going on this trip if it's them." She stated and grabbed my arm to drag me back inside.

"Hey lady! You can't tell her what to do! She's eighteen, and she can do what she wants!" Amelia shouted and got up in Lillian's face and pulled me away from her.

"If she goes with you two, then she can never show her face in this house again!" Lillian threatened, and Amelia shrugged.

"My family would be happy to take her into our home. Send the adoption papers to our address!" She shouted and picked me up, and ran with me to the car. Rebecca followed close behind with my stuff.

"Have I ever told you guys how much I love you for these types of things?" I questioned as Rebecca burned rubber getting out of my driveway.

"Yes, multiple times!" Amelia stated with a chuckle.

"Hey, you guys wanna put on some SPG music?" Rebecca suggested and we nodded in reply.

"So we got you some hair dye so I can do your hair later." Amelia states and I grinned.

I looked out the window at the passing trees. I felt like Rebecca was going awfully fast up and down hills for how icy the roads were. It turns out my fears were quite logical for a few moments after that, though. We flew straight down the hill and off a bridge. We didn't even have time to scream. I closed my eyes waiting for the impact, but it never came...