[I] An Idea

The sound of a pen grazing against paper filled your bedroom on a chilly Saturday afternoon. You were working on an assignment due Monday, for your history class.

The theme was a free choice, and so you decided to write about the American Revolution. You made sure to quote the Hamilton Musical whenever you could, because you knew your teacher would not get the reference. The thought of getting an A on this thing was incredibly funny to you.

Deeming what you scribbled down to be the bare minimum, you put your writing instrument down and hopped off your chair.

Exiting your room, you stretched your arms above your head as you walked down the stairs. You caught sight of a familiar man sitting idly at the dinner table, a cup of coffee in his hands.

"Hey Siri."

You greeted your stepfather. His name was actually Samuel, but you sometimes called him Siri because he knew a lot of trivial stuff off the top of his head. His raven hair was cut short, amber eyes foggy under his contact lenses. Poor man was nearly blind without them. You walked by him and went for the fridge.

"Welcome downstairs, brat! Haven't seen you around in years."

He jokingly exaggerated, shooting you a fond grin. You snickered. Grabbing a bar of chocolate from the shelf on the fridge door, you plopped yourself down across from the man.

"Where'd Mom go?"

"Last minute shopping. Turns out, I forgot the eggs yesterday."

"Hm. Sucks to suck."

"Tell me about it."

You took a moment to laugh at eachother. You tore the wrapper from the chocolate bar and bit into it, neglecting to break off any squares. Samuel looked at you oddly, like you were some kind of sociopath. You merely smiled.

"So, I wanted to ask..."

He began, trailing off. You gave him a hum as acknowledgement.

"Why are you in your room so much? Kids your age are supposed to be out and about with friends."

He tapped at the side of his mug with his fingers as he waited for you to answer. You gave him a look.

"I don't have friends, Sam."

"Oh."

As nonchalant as your answer was, you could tell he got disheartened. You broke a row from the untouched end of your chocolate bar an slid it over to him.

"Aw, don't worry about me, man. I have peeps online I chat with."

He merely pouted at your reassurance.

"...oh. No, no, you ARE my friend, Siri, I just assumed you only meant people of my age-"

"No, I get it. I'm just not good enough for you."

He dramatically raised his arm over his eyes, and leaned back with his chair.

"Sam please-"

You begged, playing along as you reached over the table for him.

"This is it- my poor soul, crushed in your grasp! Ughhh."

He collapsed upon the table.

"Nooo!"

You threw yourself back in your chair, covering your eyes as you mourned his death.

And then you both started cracking up.

"In all seriousness kid, you need to put yourself out there."