TEN

The morning light filtered through the small, barred window, casting a pale glow across the stark room. I blinked awake, momentarily disoriented by the unfamiliar surroundings before reality crashed down on me like a tidal wave. The events of the previous day flooded back - the allergic reaction, the doctor, and Jinx's chilling threat. I shuddered, pulling the thin blanket tighter around me as if it could shield me from the horrors that awaited.

A soft knock at the door made me jolt upright, my heart racing. "Who is it?" I called out, hating the tremor in my voice.

"It's Zara," came the gentle response. "May I come in?"

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "Yes," I replied, swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

Zara entered, carrying a tray with a bottle of water and medicaments with it.

"How are you feeling?"

"As well as can be expected," I muttered, accepting the tray with a nod of thanks.

As I took my medicine, Zara hovered nearby, her hands twisting together in a nervous gesture. "Mr. Jinx requests your presence for breakfast," she said finally, her voice low as if afraid the walls might overhear.

I nearly choked on the water. "What?" I sputtered, setting down the glass of water.

"After what he did yesterday?"

Zara's eyes darted around the room, a clear sign of her discomfort. "He... he insists," she whispered. "Down the hall, in the dining room. In an hour."

My stomach churned, appetite suddenly gone. The thought of sitting across from that monster, pretending to share a civilized meal after he'd nearly killed me, was sickening. But I knew refusing wasn't an option. Jinx's 'requests' were orders, thinly veiled threats.

"Fine," I said through gritted teeth. "I'll be there."

Zara nodded, relief flashing across her face. She left quickly, taking the tray with her, leaving me alone with my turbulent thoughts.An hour later, freshly showered and dressed in the simple clothes Zara had provided, I stood outside the dining room. My hand trembled as I reached for the doorknob. Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself and entered.

The room was surprisingly elegant, with a long mahogany table and high-backed chairs. Sunlight streamed through tall windows, a cruel reminder of the world I was missing.

At the head of the table sat Jinx, impeccably dressed in a tailored suit that only served to highlight his dangerous allure.

"Ah, Gia," he greeted, his voice smooth as silk. "Do join me."

I moved stiffly to the chair he indicated, as far from him as the table allowed. The spread before me was lavish - fresh fruits, pastries, and what smelled like gourmet coffee. My stomach growled traitorously, but I made no move to touch anything.

"Not hungry?" Jinx asked, his tone light but his eyes sharp.

"Forgive me if I'm a bit wary of the food," I retorted, unable to keep the bitterness from my voice.

Jinx chuckled, a sound that sent an unwelcome shiver down my spine.

"My Gia, if I wanted you dead, you wouldn't be sitting here." He took a bite of a pastry, his eyes never leaving mine. "I assure you, everything is quite safe."

I stared at him, incredulous. Did he really expect me to trust him after yesterday? Yet, as the aroma of coffee teased my senses, I found myself reaching for a cup. I needed the caffeine, and if he wanted me dead, as he so callously pointed out, I'd already be gone.