16. the weeping willow

Catori knew exactly where Al would go.

Moonlight glanced across her rainbow wings as she glided through the sky, passing over the familiar waterfall. The cliff was empty, so she continued on until she could see the old tree cabins and cottages, dark and abandoned.

Gliding down, she gently landed on the leaves, feeling how cold the air had become—Eira truly was back. Snowflakes gently drifted from the clouds, and she closed her wings around herself as she walked through their old camp.

Approaching the old willow tree whose strands were swaying softly in the wind, she found what she was looking for—Alastair, huddled up under the tree, weeping softly. Hearing Al's cries made Catori's heart twist in her chest. She looked like a child, holding herself, trembling from the cold, taking shelter from the unseasonal snow.

"Alastair," she softly called as she neared the willow, spreading its strands to step through. The fire fae, who was turned away from her, stayed put as Catori gently sat down beside her.

They sat there in silence for a few moments, listening to the sounds of the forest that was so quiet now that their camp was empty.

Al surprised Catori when she gently croaked, "I don't remember." She repeated with a sniffle, "I don't remember."

Catori's brown eyes glanced over Al thoughtfully. "I know," she finally whispered.

Slowly, Al turned her tear-streaked face towards the spirit fae. "You do?" she trembled.

Catori stared at Al with sorrow and nodded. "I know you, Al. You are not bad."

The words made more tears fall down Al's face, and Catori came closer, wrapping her hand around the fae who felt unusually cold. Why was she not trying to warm herself? Did she come out there to let herself grow cold? Was she trying to freeze to death?

Holding the fire fae, Catori looked deeply at her and whispered, "You have to let me see."

Sniffling again, Al stared up at Catori as she shivered.

"Everything," Catori pressed. "I can't decipher whether the memories are real or not unless you let me in completely."

Al thought about it for a moment, dull crimson eyes falling to the ground where snowflakes were loosely gathering. It was too early in the season for snow.

After a few moments, Al nodded, sitting up a bit straighter against the tree.

Catori mirrored her nod and unlatched her arm from around Al, moving herself in front of her. "It's going to hurt a little," she said, pushing up the sleeves of her brown cloak. "But you can't resist. You have to let me in."

Al stared up at Catori almost gauntly. This really was Al at her lowest point—her cheeks were hollowed, the skin around her eyes dark, her body trembling. There was nothing but pain in her eyes, which told Catori it may even be painful for herself to go inside Al's head.

Taking a deep breath, Catori lifted her hands and hovered her palms over Al's temples. The fire fae closed her eyes as Catori's hands and eyes began to glow soft blue.

The mental wall in Al's head was strong, and it took a few moments before Catori could find a weak spot to push through. Al's natural defenses rose, though, and the fire fae hissed as she felt something tugging painfully in her head.

Catori pursed her lips as her hands glowed brighter, and she squeezed her eyes shut. "Let me in, Al."

Al knew right where Catori was going, and she tried to resist, but the more she did, the more it hurt. So, finally, she let go with a grunt, almost physically feeling Catori's presence surge inside her brain.