There are things we can have, but can't keep

DO NOT read this if you're unwell! I probably shouldn't post this at all and will likely delete it later.
————————

Zelda blinked her eyes open and tried to make out the clock on the opposite wall of her bedroom before giving up, pushing herself into a sitting position and picking up her glasses from the nightstand with a sigh. Pushing them up her nose, she winced as she realised how late it was, and on this day of all! She had so much to prepare for the New Year's Eve celebrations with the coven tonight.

Zelda looked down to her side where she found you still fast asleep on your side, your back towards her and smiled softly. The heavy curtains were drawn shut, so it was still dark in the bedroom despite the time. She placed her hand on your hip and let it linger before leaning down to kiss you awake on the side of your neck.

She chuckled when she heard the little noises you made while waking up and you turned around to her but didn't open your eyes yet. Instead of urging you to get up, she caressed your head, combed through your hair at the temples with her fingers and waited until you felt ready to open your eyes. It had been a rough few weeks and despite your assurance you were good on your own, she had adapted her schedule to spend more time with you, comforting you.

It had you wondering why so many people consider her hard and cold when in reality she was the most caring and understanding person you had ever met. Maybe because she was broken too.

Zelda was propped up on her arm as her fingers played with your hair until you were awake enough to inch closer and kiss her once, lingering a little.

"It's late my dear, we've overslept."

"Must've been the drinks," you figured and made her remember how you two had sat together in front of the fireplace last night, sipping on your mulled wine – a treat you only enjoyed on December.

"Anyway, why aren't you out and about then, hm?"

"And leave you here all day sleeping like the little koala bear you are?", she mused, stealing another kiss.

You remained serious though, "You know you don't have to watch over me all the time, I'm better, honestly."

"I know," she continued quieter, whispering close to your ear, "And I'm very proud of you," she returned to an upright position, "But I can make my own decisions, don't you think?"

"Yes, directrix", you teased with an affectionate eye-roll, pushing yourself up as well.

Zelda couldn't tear her eyes away from you as you freed herself from the duvet and sat on the bedside for a moment to get your blood circulation going before standing up and heading for the bathroom. Her thoughts drifted back to the weeks that had passed, how often she couldn't watch you do that, how often she had helped you against your will.

Somewhere in her heart it was still hurting her, thinking about how you had shut her out and pushed her away. The shame she had seen on her face every time you hadn't manage to get out of bed, every time she had comforted you bawling your eyes out. But then, watching you getting ready, putting make up on and smiling at her from the bath room every now and then, she was simply glad to have you back, to have gotten through this.

It was time for her to get dressed as well, so she swatted her thigh and headed for the wardrobe to find something to wear for the day. She would change for the celebrations again anyway but it was just so Zelda to want to look perfect all the time. Clad in her figure-hugging black dress with the red necklace, she stood in the doorframe of the bathroom, leaning against it, arms crossed as if waiting for something from you.

You were just finished and locked eyes with her, narrowing yours in a playful manner as you tried to push past her to get something to wear. But just when you had turned towards her to slip through the small space, she grabbed you by your hips, your light pink satin dressing gown pushing up to your waist, and pulled you against her, wearing a cheeky grin.