" Neesan. "

" Neesan. "

" Neesan. "

Your eyes fluttered open, shoulders shoved gently by small, delicate hands.

You sat up as he showed a hand-woven doll made from bamboo, his eyes gleaming in the darkness. The only light source is the moon displayed in the night sky, accompanied by the stars, all behind the simple wooden frame of your window.

" Lovely. "

You caressed his head before taking him into your arms, laying back onto the silk fabric you laid upon.

" Can you tell me a story? " He asks within your hold, playing with the bamboo doll.

You hummed in response,

" Long time ago in a faraway place, there lived an elderly couple. The husband was an old farmer and the wife was an old homemaker. - "

Soon after, you heard soft snores coming from your younger brother.

·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·

" Akemi-kun, wake up. "

You shook his small frame gently, waking him up in the process. He got up, rubbing his eyes.

" Let's eat breakfast. " You smiled at him before taking his hand, guiding him towards the kitchen.

" What are we eating today Neesan? " Akemi sat in the chair as you began preparing breakfast for the two of you.

" It's a surprise. " He pouted in response, you laughed.

A couple of minutes pass as you arrive at the table, placing down bowls of freshly steamed seasoned rice, a plate of grilled fish and tamagoyaki. He squealed in delight before picking up his chopsticks.

" Itadakimasu! " Akemi clapped his hands together before digging into his bowl.

·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·

" Akemi-kun! Hurry up, otherwise, we'll be late for the train! "

You fixed the hem of your jacket, turning over to see Akemi rushing down the stairs, only to fall over and stumble down, then caught by you.

..

" Ow.. ow... " He flinched at the cold touch of the ice.

" Are you alright? " You asked, placing your hand on his head, setting the ice aside on the table.

" Thankfully you caught me, thanks Neesan. " He hugged you.

" Now let's catch up with the train! " He quickly grabbed his leather satchel and held your hand as you both ran through the door.

" Look! The train hasn't left yet! " He pointed to the steel body of the train, smoke puffing out of its chimney. You let out a sigh of relief.

I thought the train left already. You thought.

Akemi led you towards the train where the two of you entered, passing through the carts looking for your assigned seats.

" Neesan, look. " He pointed to your seats, releasing his grip from your hand and running over to sit down. You walked over, placing your bags on the rack found above your seat before sitting beside Akemi.

·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·⎯⎯·

Akemi's POV