I fell in love again

You can't fall in love with your friend, that's what they all say. Its 8 am and I'm heading to school. Its a beautiful autumn day, rain falls gently to the ground, making a relaxing noise. I walk across the street and into the schoolyard, where a familiar face is waving from the window. I can't help but smile at their cute face pushed against the glass.

"You're finally here!! I've been waiting for you to give me the math homework, i even texted you!" "Oh.." i say, embarrassed. "I didn't check my phone since i left for school.. Sorry! The notebook is in my schoolbag, feel free to copy it at lunch."

They nod, and grab my hand, basically pushing me out of the door in the rain. I put my head on their shoulder and we walk across the school grounds, while the rain was stopping, and gentle sunrays were breaking through the grey clouds. We stop on a bench, and i try to grab my phone out of my pocket, when they put their head in my lap, with their hair cascading down my legs. I put my hand on their waist and absently twist their hair in my hand. The bell rings, waking us from our daydream. They get up and hold my hand while i also started walking towards our classroom.

"Fucking gays!" some kid screams from behind us.

I was expecting my friend to just look to the floor and try to be invisible. Instead they let go of my hand and slapped the kid in the face. He widened his eyes, looking at them in shock. My friend smirks, and runs to the classroom, with me trying to keep up behind them. "That, right there, was an awesome hit!"

"Heh, I tried I guess.." they say awkwardly

"He deserved it." I respond "I guess so.. Can we ask to go to the bathroom in like the middle of the class? I have something to show you." "Oh, uh.. sure I guess.. What exactly will you show me?

"Oh you'll see" they whisper

We sit through the class while minutes were passing like hours. When there were 20 minutes left from the class, my friend raises their hand and pulls a really realistic sick face, asking the teacher if they could go to the bathroom. Our math teacher agrees to let them go if i also went with them and here we are, running across the corridor towards the elevator. Our school had 4 floors, and they inconveniently placed the bath on the last one.

We get in the newly renovated elevator, and I press the little four button. The doors close, and we go up a bit, but then the elevator stops. "Oh uh.. I think we're stuck" my friend says

"Good job Sherlock" I sarcastically respond. We lay down on the floor knowing there's nothing we can do. Some kid will just find the elevator missing at recess and they'll get us out like they always do.

"Also.. about what I wanted to say.." They pause a bit, taking off their black sweater. "I know this might come off weirdly but I'm quite in love with you.. like since 5th grade.."

If i would have been standing, I would probably drop down. I look at them surprised, with my mouth half open, trying to search for words. My dumbass could only think of the most basic thing to say.

"Same."

My friend jumps out of their place and hugs me tightly. When we let go of each other, they stop a few inches away from my face. I could feel their warm breath brush against my cheeks, and they bite their soft lips and stare me down. I slightly open my mouth, and move my head closer to theirs. I put my hands on their waist, and they hold my head up with one hand, leaning on the other for support. The room was so warm, and their touch was so gentle, yet exciting. We were blushing, and i feel their hand going up my waist, on my chest, they move their head closer and barely touch my lips with a soft kiss, trying to see how I'd respond. I take their face in my hands and pull them closer to the kiss, locking lips with the love of my life for the first time. Their hands meet mine, and we just stay there, holding hands and kissing like it was the last time we'd do it.

We finally let go, and my lips feel so bland without their touch. They put their head on my shoulder, catching their breath, as the most exciting chapter in our love life was just beginning.