Prologue

Thwap, the zombies blood and rotten brain matter splattered all over my clothes as I swung down with the rusty metal pipe. It writhed for but a moment after, its raggedy red dress now closer to brown with caked on dirt and debris. "I bet you are wondering how a discredited doctor like me ended up in this predicament. Let's just get this formality out of the way, my name is Lysander Deverell." I take a swig of my last bottle of Gin. "Prior surgeon, current drunk, and Zombie hunter. That's right, here I am. In the apocalypse." I clear my throat and tap my finger against my head. "Six, maybe Seven, to be almost exact- I don't know precisely when we are now, but snow has started to fall and the blistering cold is a great reminder. I'd say its late November early December. To say the least, its freezing and the dead have slowed down, its been almost a week since I've even seen one shamble about. So that's a good thing to note for the future, if there even is one for humanity. Zombies hate cold. They apparently share that with me, which is terrifying. Anything in common with them makes me feel even less human. Three months since the last person I'd seen, and even then I'd hardly call them human."
"She was dangerous, extremely dangerous. Her grin that of a shark, beady eyes glaring through my soul as she crept away, three words muttered under her breath. Not that way. But besides that, desolate isolation and a burning loneliness, It could drive a sane man mad, and a mad man sane. It will be up to whomever finds this- Diary, of sorts, to decide which of the two I am, or if I am neither or somewhere in between." I twist the cap back on the bottle after another swig. "But I digress, this journal is meant to aid anyone who finds it, and if you have, that means I am probably long dead and forgotten. Please take caution while you read, ensure you have your back to a wall and your weapons ready. This wasteland has no mercy. Hopefully, instead of watching your back, this hell has ceased and humanity survived. If not, I'll leave some useful tips in my writing, try to survive as best as you can, and maybe you, too, can leave something like this behind for the next survivors to come through the city. I know, now, that the city- no, the world, coming to this end... Was not a natural occurrence, no, it was a failed experiment gone awry. Releasing this plague, this famine and relentless war upon us. Best of luck, survivor."