chapter 3

Severin

The first thing I did when I woke up was shower. Then I went to see Astrid after grooming myself a little bit. Astrid and Sigrid always wake up before I do. So I don't have to worry about them being asleep.

I knocked on the door of the Åstöm's house and Sigrid answered.

"Oh, hi Severin," Sigrid said. "You're up earlier than usual. Come in."

"Did you Astrid show you the letter?" I asked her as I walked inside.

"She did," Sigrid said. "Charlie and I are going to consult the council today."

"Good," I sighed. "Speaking of Astrid. Where is she? Is she up yet?"

"Yes, she's just in the shower," Sigrid answered. "Help yourself to a waffle if you'd like. They're fresh!"

"Thanks!" I said and helped myself, I covered the waffle with syrup and whipped cream. "I didn't eat breakfast, I'm starving!"

I wolfed down two waffles by the time Astrid came out of the bathroom. By then Sigrid had already gone with Charlie to consult with the council.

"Hi Astrid," I greeted her as she sat down at the table and helped herself to some waffles too. "How are you?"

"I had a thought," Astrid said, without answering my question.

"Oh no, what?" I asked her.

"We are going to save my Mormor," she explained between bitefuls of waffle.

"We? Are you out of your mind?" I said, shocked.

"Fine, it doesn't have to be we, I'll just go alone," she shrugged. "But I do need you Severin, I need you to come with me, we both know I'll need you to come with me."

"Your grandma said-"

"I don't care what she said!" I yelled. "I need to do this. We'll pack a bag full of supplies and leave today. I need to do this, Severin. And I need you to come with me."

"Fine, for you," I said. She's finally snapped, I thought to myself.