I

BUCKY BARNES
PRESENT

Great. Another one of Stark's Parties.

Steve was chatting up a blonde in the corner while Sam was chatting up the brunette. He went all out at this party, he had floodlights and smoke machines. Stark tower, or the 'Avenger Tower', was basically a nightclub now.

Steve and Sam convinced me to attend with them and yet, I'm alone in a corner sipping on whiskey. There are so many pretty girls, and guys, around tonight but even if I had the confidence to speak to any of them, I doubt they would be like Evelyn.

Evelyn Carter.

She was an amazing woman, she was a strange girl for the 40's but nonetheless perfect, in her own little way.
I can still remember her smile and the way she would say my name.

"Bucky!" I was pulled out of the lasting memory of her, "Get your terminator ass over here."

Fuck you Stark.

I sat down with the Avengers, although I was now an Avenger it felt weird to refer to us as a team. I knew a few of them still felt sceptical of me but they were slowly warming up to the idea of me staying, according to Steve.

"How about a round of never have I ever?" everyone groaned at Tony's suggestion, I even shook my head because I knew that these games lead to no where good. Any dignity went out the window for everyone who played Tony's version of each of the games.

"Really? Another one of these games?" Natasha asked Tony, giggling to herself. Natasha was someone who could compare to Evelyn; they shared the same fierceness. I have caught Natasha giving me something like 'fuck me eyes' or something according to Sam. I just thought that was how she looked at everyone.

Tony scoffed, "Well Romanoff, I'm glad you asked because we could play something else like two truths and a lie."

"Two truths and a lie, hands up," Nat stood up and raised her hand in the air, almost everyone followed. Tony sat down with a smirk, seeming almost content in the answer although he was most likely hiding his disappointment.

Everyone had a turn, except for me, it was Sam and then me.

Sam gave the options of, "I have brown eyes, I have hooked up with an Avenger, I have been married."

"Sam it's two truths and a lie, not two lies and a truth," Steve joked causing everyone to laugh with him, "the last two are impossible."

"You haven't hooked up with an avenger, it was a Shield agent," I smirked, ultimately winning the game so far. Everyone here is so predictable it's funny considering two of the Avengers are spies.

"Okay, James, your turn," Sam narrowed his eyes seriously although he meant it playfully.

I considered the options for a moment, "I was married-"

"Copycat," Sam mumbled.

"I'm a cat person and my favourite food is plums," I watched as they all tried to figure it out, even Steve didn't know the truth.

Finally Clint jumped up, "The lie is that he was married because he was a playboy in the forties as we know from his many stories and he may seem like a tough guy but have you seen him around Lucky when Kate has visited? He isn't a fan of dogs,"
Clint paused to catch his breath, "Finally, whenever we go on missions all he ever takes is plums. Late at night what does he eat? Plums. Movie night, popcorn? Not for Bucky, its PLUMS."

Everyone looked at Clint speechless and I just burst out laughing.

"What's funny?" Clint smiled confused.

"Nothing," I wiped the tears from my eyes, "Nothing at all."

Sam spoke, "His favourite food is sushi. I took him to that new sushi place not long after he moved in and he always orders it."

"Wait so what's the lie?" Steve asked.

"Sam is right, plums are my favourite fruit but my favourite food is sushi," I downed the last of the amber liquid, savouring the flavour.

"You were married?" Natasha asked, her voice filled with interest and even a slight bit of jealousy.

I nodded and even Steve looked beyond confused. It was quiet for a minute. Everyone let the knowledge sink in.

Steve was the first to speak, "Who was she?"

I could sense the betrayal he felt, if only he knew who she was. I can't bare to tell him. Things are still rocky between us since he said he would leave me for her, he never did but he could've.

"It doesn't matter. She died a long time ago," I mumbled out.

"Did I know her?" He asked another question.

"Yeah. Almost everyone knew her, she worked as a nurse," I smiled at her memory, "She helped in Austria."

"Evelyn Carter?" Tony asked, looking up from his phone. I could feel Steve's stare burn holes in the side of my face.

Fuck you Stark.

"She moved to New York from England in February 1942 before working as a Midwife in Maternity Hospital until she got moved to a soldiers camp in Austria in August 1943. She then changed her name the following November of 1944 to Barnes-Carter. She then went missing on the 25th of January 1945 and proclaimed dead a week later, just one week before Terminator fell from the train," Tony summed up.

Tears pricked at my eyes, her memory isn't as sweet as I remembered. I tried to blink them away but one rolled down my cheek, I quickly wiped it with the back of my hand.

Fuck you Stark.

"Evelyn? You married Evelyn? You knew that I loved her," Steve gritted through his teeth, walking away from the group. He approached the blonde from earlier, disappearing with her.

"I didn't know he loved her until I married her, I thought he loved Peggy," I justified my actions although no one asked.

"Tell us about her," Sam smiled and I nodded knowing exactly where to start.