IV

STEVE ROGERS
PRESENT

I awoke to Bucky's snoring, just like I would most mornings. Most people hate hearing others snore but I enjoy hearing others, it means that they are in a deep and content slumber. Most of the team believe that Bucky and I sleep together because he has nightmares, which he does however, I get them the most.

Bucky's nightmares are sporadic and more terrifying than mine for sure but mine are constant. Every night I am reminded of the war or Ultron, Loki, Thanos, the train, people I failed to save, Evelyn.

I shuffled out of the sheets and opened my bedside drawer. When Evelyn died, I asked them for her belongings and since they never gave anything to her family, they gave everything to me. If I knew that Bucky was her husband I would've gave him half of her stuff. Now I know, I probably should.

I peak over my shoulder to see that Bucky is still very much asleep, I take the folder out of the drawer and the cardboard box from under my bed. Every morning I go to the rooftop, I enjoy sitting on the edge while watching the citizens of New York make their morning commute to their 9/5 job.

I open the file that I have read many times over the years, I miss her more than I should. The pictures of her in this file are the only ones I have. I even remember faking injuries just so I could see her and even though she knew I could heal myself, she still humoured me.

Her dark hair was always prepped perfectly, just like Peggy's. Evelyn resembled Peggy in almost every way.

When I first met Evelyn, I had a feeling she was Peggy's sister so I kept my distance at the beginning of our growing friendship and when I found out they barely spoke, I never felt the need to distance myself from her

When I first met Evelyn, I had a feeling she was Peggy's sister so I kept my distance at the beginning of our growing friendship and when I found out they barely spoke, I never felt the need to distance myself from her. Evelyn had a sugary-sweet voice and an even sweeter smile which complemented her compassion for others.

Only rarely I saw her feisty side come out and that was when a man told her what to do, or if anyone tried to underestimate her. She was definitely a feminist and unlike the other girls back then, her and Peggy were never afraid to turn a guy down. I admired her for that.

Whenever I pass Bleaker Street, I always consider knocking on the door to just see where she lived but I knew that would be creepy for the current owners. Sometimes I stop and just stare at the building and how it must've been eighty years ago. The S.H.I.E.L.D files only gave me a small insight to who Evelyn really was. I never knew that she was an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D until I read this file and I never knew she could speak multiple languages.

It's crazy how much you think you know someone when you really don't know them like you thought, it made me wonder if Bucky knew all this about her? If she was willing to marry him then she must've shared some part of the truth at some point in their relationship. I wonder if there's a way to bring her back, just like I did with Tony and Natasha.

I walk back inside the tower and call for the one guy I know can help me. The line rings a few times before a voice croaks out, "Hello?"

"Scott? It's Steve, how fast can you get to the Tower? I need you to build me a time machine."