There For You

As we enter the dining room, I notice that eyes turn to pay attention to us as we go with Kate. She seems to enjoy the moment while I feel so uneasy. I am sure of one thing: I don't like when people scrutinize me. I wish I could go back to my room. Out of sight and out of people's minds would be great. Thankfully, I will never have to show up during meetings or assist parties with many influential people. Not being the Pack's Alpha may finally be the best solution for me.

Unfortunately, tonight I will have to stand proud and face people's glares. I think my non-presence will be noticed if I cowardly escape. I catch Elijah's eyes and take Kate by the hand to walk through the crowd.

Wow! Who are you, and what have you done to my sister?
My brother sounds genuinely impressed and not mocking me for once. I can guess it is a shock to see me dressed as an elegant woman, as I am not the most feminine she-wolf ever. I've spent more time running in the woods and training with the warriors than playing princess and shopping. An Alpha does not protect their people wearing dresses and high-heels.

Shut up, Eli. This was Kate's idea... I did not have my words in this all-fancy thing. Just be supportive, please. I feel like my cheeks will never shift back to their usual color. Even worse, they are getting redder and redder - I can feel my skin burning.
A fully alive tomato in a silver dress.

I think Kate has brilliant ideas. You're gorgeous. I did not know that you could look so feminine. I'm gonna have to play with my new Alpha position to prevent guys from jumping on you. You're already turning me into the bad guy.
For once, I don't know if he is telling the truth or if he is only trying to tease me. Eli is the best to make me mad. He perfectly knows how to irritate me. One of his preferred subjects: the way I dress.
I find it pretty ironic when I see how protective he can be with me. He could turn mad if a wolf had the slightest inappropriate gesture towards me. Of course, the other wolves must sense it, as no one has ever dared to make any allusion in front of my brother, Nick included.

Funny... I answer as I feel my cheeks are hot with shame.
I can see Eli laughing. My uneasiness must be ridiculously hilarious from the outside.
Moon Goddess, I wish I could melt and disappear.

We find our way through the crowd to reach Eli and Julie. It is not easy as the room is full of people laughing and talking. But, at least no tension can be felt, except maybe for mine.Setting aside my allure, I still feel apprehensive. It's a mixture of need for this party to be successful, of fear as it could explode anytime, and of worry as these huge lycans make me uneasy by just being here.
Admiring how good the room looks and how people seem to enjoy the evening lightens my heavy heart. Some minutes of struggling later, we join Eli and Julie.

As soon as we are by their side, my brother grabs my hand before I can even kiss him or Julie. Julie is majestic in her light blue gown: she looks like a really experienced Luna.

"We need to talk, Liv," my brother whispers in my ear. He takes my hand and leads me discreetly to the small library next to the dining room, leaving Julie and Kate together.
He enters the small library and locks the door behind us. Then he hugs me almost too tightly.

What is wrong with him? We've not been apart for that long, and even if we're close, not that much for him to miss me after only a few hours.
I don't comprehend how he can change from total happiness to the most oppressive nervousness in such a brief moment.

"What is it, Eli?" I ask. My cheerful mood is totally changing because of his sudden reaction.
I put my hand on his chest, just like I did when we were kids - before he found Julie. It used to calm him. Under my touch, I can discern that his heartbeat is fast. Far too fast.

"That sucks, Liv. That really sucks". Elijah's eyes turned dark green.
I can feel he completely freaks out and that his wolf is close to taking control of Elijah. It could happen any moment now.
It's rare, but it has already happened a few times. Not that I'm afraid of Jonas, his wolf. It's just that both of them are not the fearful types. If Jonas is about to take over, then it thoroughly sucks.