02

Maggie was back in record time with Rick's wife, Lori. She'd made her self scarce to give them some privacy.

"Patricia," Amelia said announcing her entry to the woman with her back turned, "can I help you with dinner?"

"I'd appreciate that." She said not turning from where she stood over the stove. "Peel some potatoes for me?"

Amelia was glad to have something to busy her hands and even more glad for the moment alone with Patricia. "I know you're worried." Amelia said into the silence that enveloped them, "The school's not the safest spot but Otis is damn tough." She carved the knife into the side of the dusty potato, revealing the white flesh inside. "He's an excellent shot and knows his way around those things." There was another moment of silence, "I guess all I'm trying to say is not to worry too much. He'll be back before you know it."

"They should have been back by now." Patricia noted quietly, "I just keep thinking.. what would I do without him? How would I get on? He's all I've ever had.. the idea.." her voice trailed off causing Amelia to look up. Patricia's shoulders shook under her flower print sleeves. "The idea of having to get on without him is too much to bear. With you.. at least, I know you. I know you're looking out for him, you'd never do anything without thinking it through. Him on his own? Or with these strangers? It terrifies me."

Amelia didn't want to make Patricia feel pitied but she empathized deeply with the sentiment. Craig was the half-cocked type- always doing everything without thinking it through. She saw where it got him.

"I was married before." She said, it fell oddly off her tongue. She hasn't spoken about Craig in so long it felt foreign to. Her hands stopped peeling as her eyes unfocused. "He was in government, we lived just out of Atlanta. I worked at the hospital there." Her lips twitched a little at the mention, "I didn't talk to my family, all my friends were his friends. He was all I had and he died right out the gate."

Patricia turned to face her now, cheeks soaked with tears which would add a pinch of salt to the sauce. "I just.. I want you to know that there's life after it. It doesn't feel like there is, even while you're living it. Everyday I feel like I wake up dead without him but I breathe, I fight. It's possible." Amelia put the potato in the pot, "When Otis gets back here and finds out how beside yourself you've been, he'd tell you the same thing. He's always talking about how strong you are."

The farmhand let out a shaky breath, "Thank you, Amelia."

"Of course." She responded, willing her lips to turn up into a smile, "Now, how many potatoes should I peel? God knows they'll be hungry as hell when they get back."

"Half the pot should be good."

They fell back into an easy silence and Amelia got through the remaining potatoes pretty quick. "Anything else I can do?"

"That should be fine. You're a dream, thank you." Patricia gave her a warm smile which she returned before making her way out of the kitchen.

"What are you then?" Came Rick's voice as soon as she passed the threshold into the dining room. "Vet tech? Psychiatrist? Chiropractor?"

Amelia's eyebrows flew up at he accusations, "Confused, mostly." She responded.

"You people are way out of your league here." The brown haired woman scoffed, great first impression from the Mrs, "Letting us think he stood a chance. It's cruel."

Amelia turned her eyes to Hershel, hoping for some kind of clarity. "Your job. Before." He provided.

The blonde shook her head in slight disbelief, "We're begging and choosing then?" She asked. "I was an ER nurse but if you'd like, I can withdraw my expertise. I've got stuff going on too." It was an entirely empty threat. Whether they wanted it or not, she'd save Carl and flip them both off while doing it if they kept this attitude.

"Oh." Lori conceded, looking a little embarassed "well, that's a bit better than a Veterinarian."

Amelia shrugged, "Hey, I would have gotten my M.D but they wanted me to wait an extra six years to start helping people. I knew everything I needed to after three." She glanced into the bedroom, she could see Carl laying peacefully on the bed. "Your son is incredibly resilient. I'll do everything I can to help him."