❁ Chapter 1: Closed Doors ❁

The piercing sunlight shone through the glass windows of the minivan.

"Hija, do you have an extra nickel I can borrow?" asked my tio (uncle)

"Mmmhm.." I mumbled as I threw her wallet to the front seat.

My tio and I were heading to a "new place to call home," Encanto. A small village in Colombia.

"Qualia, wake up! We're here!" shouted my tio from the front seat. I rose up from the torn up leather seats and peered out of the window. I saw a man at a market selling jewelry, and a woman dancing to an audience of young children. The mood slightly gave me homey feeling.

"So, where are we staying?" I asked.

"Oh! Right!" he laughed. "I forgot to mention, I have an older sister here. You'll love her! She's so friendly and kind, and amazing!" my tio continued to ramble on about his sister and how amazing she was. But I was just watching this man story telling. It seemed he was telling scary stories, because as soon as he put his hands in claws everyone flinched.

"Hey, do you mind if we stop to look around the market?" I asked.

"Okay, but only for ten minutes. We have to get there before dark." my tio said as he parked his van at a sidewalk.
❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁
"Mmm..this food is delicious!" I chuckled as I finished up my fajita.

"Haha! I remember your tia came here all the time for the Fernandez's fajitas! Oh I've always wondered how they make them! And don't get me started on the weekly clothes shopping trips!" he laughed a hearty laugh.

There were faint claps coming from behind us, which my curious self turned back to check. It was the same man telling scary stories fron the minivan!

"Hey, tio! Let's go listen to a story!" I beamed as I gestured to my tio.

"You sure-Jaqualia! I didn't say yes!" he shouted before he hopped off his chair and chased after me.

"Alright..has anyone here heard about the mysterious, the mischievous, and the threatening..Bruno Madrigal.." snickered the man in a childish tone.

"If not, you've found the right crowd..beware Bruno, he brings bad luck to all. He had a mysterious gift, to see into the future. And one day, he disappeared. Never to be seen.." growled the story teller.

"AGAIN!" he screamed, creeping behind the crowd to scare them. But instead, he was who looked like a middle aged man with black curly hair and torn green clothes. He also had unusual glowy green eyes.

Then the same man came up from behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Uh, Camilo, ya know I'm not like that.." he whispered, or at least attempted to.

"Shh, I'm trying to make money here!" the boy whispered shouted back. Claps soon emerged from the crowd.

"Thank you! Thank you!" he joked as he bowed and claps emerged from the crowd. I saw his eyes then scan the crowd until he locked them on me with a mischievous grin.

"Let's get to your tia's house now." my tio said before giving a side eye to the boy.

❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁
"Uncle Miguel? Are you okay?" I asked my sweating uncle who gave me an unsure look.

"Yes, I'm fine mija. Just worried." he reassured me and knocked on his sisters door.

There was an awkward silence as if the rickety old house was mistaken for my aunts. It definitely wasn't welcoming. It had dead plants. Everywhere. The only living things were the weeds, and I don't think that makes it any better. The door started to creak open when a curly headed brunette with heavy bags under her eyes opened the door. She looked cranky. Like my old loud neighbor with 7 kids.

"Miguel." grumbled the tired old women who was supposed to be my tia.

"Estas segura de que ella no es mi abuela..?" (Are you sure she isn't my abuela..?) I whispered to my tio. Seemed he didn't hear me, because he went frozen the second he saw the women.

"When did I ever invite you to my house? And with a random girl?" she groaned. No wonder tio Miguel didn't wanna come here..

"And I heard that." she made a wide frown and pointed at me. The women grimaced and shut the door right in me and her brother's face.

"Fatima, I told you we were coming a few months ago!" cried my tio as he frantically knocked on the door.

"Mia, let me in, please! It's burning out here!" groaned my tio still banging on the door.

Soon the door was opened by a girl with black silky hair that matched with her green eyes and tan cami and jean shorts. She really was pretty.

"Sorry about my...uh..welcome to my house!" chuckled the pretty girl with a slight smile.

Me and my uncle entered the house, and gosh was it messy. There was a dining room to our left with leftover plates and what looked like burnt macaroni. And to my left was a barely operating air conditioner, but it was enough to cool us off.

"I'll show you guys to your rooms. Want anything?" she sighed while wiping sweat of her head.

"A drink would be good! A cool one." blurted out my uncle a little to early.

"I'll get it right now. Would you like one too?" she asked looking at me.

"Oh..uhm. Yes! Yes, please. Do you know where the bathroom is?" I stuttered.

"Upstairs, to your left. The towels are in the closet next to it." she said smiling at me.

"Okay! Thank you, uhm.." I trailed off.

"Valeria." she finished.

My tio put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm going to go get our stuff in the van. You stay here. Okay?" he confirmed in the worst fake serious voice ever.

"Yes, tio Miguel."

He kisses me on my head and makes his way to the minivan.

❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁
I came out of the bathroom with a dusty pink towel wrapped around my body. I made my way to the bedrooms that Valeria told me to go to.

I opened the door and inside there was a white painted room with a twin sized bed in the corner and a desk on the other side.

"Perfect." I grinned.

I settled on the bed. It wasn't the softest mattress, but I could live with it.

There was a few boxes and luggage I still needed to unpack that my uncle left in the room for me.

❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁
The room was Jaqualified in no time. Weird paintings on the walks, quilt bed set, warm lit lamp, and a Jaqualia to go with it.

It took the whole day, but the work was worth it. I plopped down on my bed and sighed. I switched off my lamp and cuddled into my bed sheet

"Buenas noches tio Miguel!" I yelled as loud as I could.

"Goodnight Qual-!" I heard my uncle yell before he got cut off my a loud slap.

"Shut up and go to bed!" yelled my annoying "tia"

I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with her, and I honestly don't know how tio Miguel did it.