Chapter Fourteen

I felt like I was floating through my rounds a few hours later

I felt like I was floating through my rounds a few hours later. It was hard to leave Piper, especially since she was still naked underneath her sheets when I left. I could still feel her lips on my skin. Her soft touch. Everything.

I wanted more.

I sat down in my office and began to type in some notes. A light knock on my door caused me to look up.

"Piper!" I didn't even try to hide my smile.

She returned it with a large grin of her own. "Good morning, Dr. Walton."

I chuckled. "It's almost noon."

"It is," she agreed. "I just visited with my grandfather. Felt weird to pass your office and not see if you were here."

"I'm glad you did." I stood up and walked over to her. "Since you're here, maybe I can take you for the cafeteria's world famous tuna."

I leaned down and gently kissed her lips. She accepted my kiss, touching my cheek ever so slightly with her fingertips as she returned it. 

"World famous?" she asked once her lips were free of mine.

"Maybe not world famous, but this part of Indianapolis famous," I clarified.

She pressed her lips together as her expression turned to disbelief.

"Look, everyone in the hospital likes it." I held up a Scout's honor. "So can I buy you one?"

She giggled that perfectly adorable giggle. "If you're not too busy."

"Definitely not too busy for you."

I touched the small of her back as we walked over to the elevators. As we approached the nursing station I let go of her, not wanting to fuel the never ending gossip mill.

The camera in the elevator kept me from pushing Piper up against the wall and claiming her mouth. As the doors parted on the main floor I led her to the cafeteria.

"Find us a table," I said to her as she looked around.

The room was busy, as it always was at mealtime. She took a deep breath then made her way into the busy dining room. I walked over to the line and grabbed a tray.

I opened the cooler and pulled out two sandwiches before stopping in front of one of the workers. "I'll get two bowls of the soup."

I watched as the worker quickly ladled the soup. "Jello?" they asked.

"Absolutely." I smiled as two red Jellos were placed on my tray.

It didn't take me long to find Piper. I placed the tray between us. "Voila!"

She giggled as I passed her a sandwich. I watched as she unwrapped it and took a bite.

"Well?"

"It uh... tastes like any tuna sandwich," she commented.