Chapter 3

"I'm just going to ask, 'cause I know I'll regret it if I don't..." I said. "Do you have plans next weekend?" I don't know what impulse led me to say that, but whatever it was, she seemed to be sticking around for it.

"Not that I'm aware of," she said. Luckily, she didn't look creeped out. "If you're going to ask me on a dinner date, just do it already."

I chuckled. "Not a dinner date, but a walk? Like, a stroll in this lovely Fall weather." She nodded and winked, which surprised me because she didn't seem like the type.

"Twelve o'clock, Saturday. Meet me at the shopping centre on the corner of Almond Court."

That day, I went away feeling like I'd just accomplished a great feat.

Friday, the next week, I sat in the Music room. Fiddling around on the computer, I tried to get the right sound for my ballad that I'd gotten inspired to write when I went to Crestone. It was wordless, but I was still determined to tell a story through it.

I was also really excited about Saturday. I kept thinking about Presley's gorgeous eyes... But when the time came, I was like a clueless baby squirrel trying to climb up an American Aspen tree. Everybody knew that those were the slipperiest trees that existed, with those white-bark trunks. A baby squirrel wouldn't know that, though.

I couldn't decide on what to wear, and I didn't know what I was going to say to her when I saw her waiting for me. That is, if she got there first. Oh no... I had no idea what I'd do if I was the first one there. Use my favourite pickup line I'd been saving since, like, fifth grade? What am I talking about, that would be stupid.

I went out into the loungeroom, finding Mom cleaning the coffee table. She'd know what to expect on a first date. Wait, is this even a date? Ah, whatever...

"Hey, Mom?"

"Honey. What's up?" she asked, putting her cloth down.

"Was Dad the first guy you dated?" I asked.

"Yes, he was," she said, getting a faraway look in her eyes. "I still remember our first date."

"What was it... like?"

"Beautiful. We went to a fair, and then a little café and had milkshakes," she said. "He walked me home and we arranged to go to the yearly dance at Manitou Springs. That was a thing back in the day. It was a two-hour drive to get there, but road trips were my favourite. Your father was such a gentleman."

"Yeah, yeah," I said. I was getting slightly grossed out by hearing the mushy details of my parent's dates. "But what were the key bits of your first date that you wish you could do differently?"

"Nothing," she said. "Dates don't have to be perfect."

"No embarrassing things you did that you wanted to erase? No awkward moments?"

"I mean, sure," she said. "But I wouldn't want to completely get rid of them. They're what makes me and your dad's relationship what it is today." I crossed my arms. She wasn't helping.

"Why is this coming up?" she asked. She had that look on her face which meant she was on to me.

"Well," I said. "I might be... I might be going to see a girl today." She gasped.

"Oh my gosh!" she said. "My mischief! I didn't know you were interested in anyone."

"Yeah, well," I said. "She kinda just appeared. This doesn't usually happen to me." Mom held her hands to her heart and got tears in her eyes.

"Win her over, you understand? These people who show up when we're least expecting it, don't come into our lives for no reason."

I smiled at her. "Thanks, Mom." She sent me on my way, and I grabbed my shoes from next to the front door. Tying the laces, I tripped and staggered outside. At this rate, I was going to be late. I caught the bus to Almond Court and took in the passing buildings, as we sped along.

When I got there, I saw Presley. Her hair was tied back into a low bun, and she made me feel nervous. She noticed me and seemed only a tiny bit bashful. I already knew I was going to embarrass myself. And to think that people in the past had called me charismatic. I made my way over to her.

"Are you a parking ticket? Because you've got 'fine' written all over you..." I said. Yep, I did it. Say goodbye to my love life. She blinked a couple times, then looked down at the ground, hiding a smile.

"Nice one," she said. I laughed, awkwardly.

"Sorry. I haven't kept you waiting long, have I?"

"Nah, only a few minutes. I just got here," she said. I stared at her, then when I realized I was doing it, looked away.

"Where do you wanna go?" she asked. I thought for a minute, before coming up with anything.

"How about we walk along that street with all the pretty shopfronts? Then we could go through Willow Park, on our way home."

"That sounds lovely," she said, nodding approvingly. We began on our way.