Four: What now?

( Nick's POV )

Ellis had come back crying, blood all over him. He ran into the back room, and slammed the door shut, not looking at any of us or speaking to anyone. Rochelle came in shortly after, a sad expression on her face. I ran over to her, panicked because my husband was crying.

"What happened?" She sighed sadly. "Ellis' mother is gone, she was bit and didn't want to be one of them, so she shot herself. Ellis cried and held her body, which explains the blood all over him. All of that blood is his mothers." She explained sadly. My eyes filled with tears and I began crying.

"Grandma's dead..?" Ellie asked, so quietly almost as a whisper, her eyes were filled with tears too. I turned around, slowly nodded and hugged her. She began sobbing and sniffling. I hugged her tightly in hopes of comforting her.

"Go check on dad honey, he may need you right now." I whispered and wiped her tears off of her cheeks. She nodded and slowly walked to the room Ellis was in. She gently opened the door and looked inside. "Dad?" She says.

"Can I come in?" She asks quietly, he must have nodded because she walked in and gently closed the door. I sighed, we aren't going anywhere until I know my husband can handle it. He's not in the right state of mind now, I know he isn't. If we left, and he got worse he could get seriously injured. Or even be out of it enough not to be able to help protect one of us, and I know he needs this time before we can go anywhere.

"Do you think El will be okay to move on? I'm not 100% sure if this store is gonna be safe for us much longer. A lot of infected are starting to roam around this store." Coach said, almost hesitant to say so.

"No coach, I don't think he will. He held his mother's corpse in his arms and her blood is all over him. Don't you think that's a little traumatic? He needs this time to mourn. If you guys want to leave, be my guest. But I'm not leaving my husband and I will NOT be forcing him to go if he doesn't want to!" I exclaimed irritated.

I know we're not 100% safe in this store, but Ellis' mental health mattered to me most right now because I know if he's not 100% something could happen to him or one of us if he's not in the right state of mind.

I sighed and punched the bridge of my nose. "I'm sorry Coach. It's just stressful because I know I can't help my husband. All I can do is support and comfort him because he needs it, and I do wish I could do more but I know that I can't do much." I said sadly and he put his hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay Nick. You love that boy, we all know it. I understand you're stressed out, and I understand that Ellis needs time to mourn. I'm just concerned about all of our safety." He explained. I nodded and shrugged slightly.

"I can ask him if he's up to go anywhere. If not, we're staying put, if he wants to, we'll leave first thing tomorrow morning." I explained and Coach nodded and walked off.

I walked into the room where Ellis and Ellie were, to find Ellis asleep, his head on Ellie's lap. She looked up at me and put a finger to her lips as to shush me, I nodded and silently closed the door. I walked over, sat close to her and gently moved his head to my lap.

"You can lay down and rest honey. You look tired." I said and she nodded, and fixed up to lay down and take a nap. "I didn't sleep well last night, I was up most of the night pretty scared." She explained.

"You don't have to be scared though Elle. Your dad Ellis and I will protect you, no matter what. We love you so much Honey." I replied and she shrugged and sighed, she laid flat on her back and stared at the ceiling, I can tell her mind is going a million miles an hour.

"I don't know it's just whenever I tried to sleep last night, every time I closed my eyes that's what I seen. My friends and their family's getting murdered." She said quietly and sounding a little sad. My heart broke for her.

"I know it's hard Elle, but we couldn't have done anything. We didn't expect it to happen again, especially because it was your birthday. And I'm sorry that's the way your birthday went baby, but at least we're still together." I explained and tears fell as she stared at the ceiling.

"I know dad. It's just hard because I don't remember much of it when I was younger. But experiencing it again, much older and knowing everything I do and remembering it all sucks. Because I feel like it's hard for me to feel safe when you or dad isn't in the same room with me. When dad left to grandma's house and you were somewhere else in the store, I felt unsafe. I felt scared. Because I knew what would happen if one of them were around and I couldn't defend myself." She replied as more tears fell.

"Just try rest honey. We'll talk about this later, you need to rest. You'll be okay, I'll be in here and so will your dad Ellis. We're not gonna go anywhere." I reassured her and she nodded and wiped her tears before fixing up to face towards me laying on her side. After a few minutes she'd fallen asleep. I laid there and stared at my husband, heart breaking as I noticed the tears that are still remaining on his face. His eyes puffy and slightly red from all the crying. I gently kissed his temple and sat there in silence wondering what we were gonna do now. I moved him slightly, and laid down beside him, I kissed his forehead and held him as I fell asleep.

A/N: Hey guys. I know it's been a long time since I've updated, but I've been struggling lately, I've been so busy and just didn't have the time or energy to update this book and I forgot about it for quite some time as well. I do wish to update more, it's just a bit hard to do so at the moment. I will write another part or two as quick as I can to make up for the time I didn't update. I apologize for not updating it, but I will do another part or two to make up for the time I didn't update.