A Birthday Party

[This was my pitiful attempt at writing something poetic. I'm sorry.]

"What do you want for your birthday?" A question I'd been hearing all day. Any other day, I'd have an answer, but as of now, I'm not sure. I'm a man with everything, everything except love. If you had asked me two years ago, I'd tell you that love was useless but recently, I found myself feeling love for someone. It was a forbidden love, no doubt about it as my love interest wasn't a small, feminine woman but rather an equally small and feminine man. At first, he was just an acquaintance, an employee, a worker just like any other. Of course, as with anyone I befriend, these feelings turned from tolerance for one's existence to love for one's company. But, like any forbidden love, this seedling of feelings will never blossom. 

"Uh, sir, are you okay? You've been zoned out for the last ten minutes." Smithers asks, "Are you sick? Tired? Is something bothering you?" I look up, unaware of how long I spent thinking about emotions. "No Smithers, I was just thinking about, uh, the plant. We should really uh, get our flooring in the breakroom retiled." I scramble to find an excuse. Smithers nods and writes something in his notebook. As I turn my chair to face the window, I hear Smithers say something about calling a Flooring Agency before leaving the room. 

Perhaps "love" isn't as absurd as I thought it was.

[I have no idea how to finish this tbh so I'm gonna make it a 261-word chapter and write the rest of the story from a 3rd person POV. I love this too much to scrap it but I have nothing else to do with it so yeah.]